Home Forum Ask A Member 1972 25 HP Johnson Outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member

I’ve used liquid wrench to unstick rings. Have heard that Kroil works good too, but haven’t tried it.
      Dave

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so the powerhead sure looks OK on the inside….What was seizing it up? Or, perhaps the gearcase is seized. Those head bolt studs will come out with a little heat. The block/head surfaces look OK also…. What is the grey stuff on the head gasket??

Evinrude 25
        Participant

Just spay some WD-40 and it comes out. A bit rust on the lower cylinder wall (see the picture) and the piston (red circle). Does it look acceptable and could be cleaned up with a quick honing? Should I order the new ring or just use the old ring. New ring is too much expensive!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Evinrude 25.
          fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks pretty good to me. “Never judge a book by its cover”…..

Evinrude 25
            Participant

There are 3 things seized up: The mag plate got seized up with the block neck, the gear case got seized up and the lower piston got seized up at the intake port. The water contacts the piston at the intake port (red circle on the picture). I have removed all the bolts out without heat. I have no ideal of the grey stuff on the head gasket. Only ATF contacted the head gasket when I removed it so. Not sure what you refer to the gray stuff.

Capture20

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You have got the area circled that I am referring to…. Probably just some schmutz that the head was laying on after removal. The only reason I pointed this out was to emphasize the importance of inspecting the block/head mating surfaces carefully. This series of engines is known for aluminum erosion in this area….
                OK, so the gearcase is seized also….You better pull that apart to see if it is salvageable before going too much further….

Evinrude 25
                Participant

I am glad it turns out good inside. By the look of out side, I expected all bearings, crankshaft got rusted since it was in the water and people just hang it in the garage for a couple years.
                  So It will be my winter project to get this one back running. I had the learning experience from my 1973 20 Hp so this one should go well.

Evinrude 25
                  Participant

I attach the block and the gasket side by side and the block at this area looks clean. The gearcase was torn apart already I will post the picture for you to advice if it is rebuildable. I have never done the lower unit before so some advices will be appreciated.

Capture21

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, the block sure “looks good”…Just wondering what the stuff is that seems to be stuck to the head gasket, you see it don’t you? The area to check in the gearcase is/are the bushings cast in for the driveshaft/pinion areas. Running the gearcase with no oil tends to wobble out these bushings, that are not replaceable….

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

Looks like you lucked out! On your piston photo, on the piston on the left, be sure to spin one of those rings around so the gaps of the two rings aren’t in-line.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 43 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.