Home Forum Ask A Member 1972 25 HP Johnson Outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Steve D
    Participant

The motor is nasty for sure but I can see a few good parts if you just wanted to get it for that, especially the electric starter bracket, if not busted. Sure it’ll need some cleaning but they fit a lot of motors (I believe ’59 to early 70s, 18-20-25 HP), and are getting harder to find and more expensive. There’s also the transom clamp assembly, recoil, throttle handle, shift handle, carrying handle, lockout assembly, and possibly more on the bottom end. As fleetwin said more parts/pieces for your other motor, keep what you want/need and sell the rest to recoup some of your money.

Evinrude 25
      Participant

The starter motor there and it could be turned manually. In my area (south of Ontario) is very hard to find the used non working outboard under $100. I could go for $50 at least. The lower unit is easy to rotate so it should be in serviceable shape. As per Steve said, the spare parts may be enough to recoup the investment. I know for sure all the bolts need to be drilled out since they are so much rusted. It may be 50/50 change to get it back to working condition with a lot of work. Or it will be a life time experience!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Evinrude 25.
        Randy in Tampa
        Participant

RUN!

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well as long as you realize whatever you pay will likely just be for some good parts….Please don’t invest all that money in the new ebay powerhead….Maybe you will get lucky…If the electric starter is easily rotated, then perhaps the engine didn’t get submerged, maybe just sat out, or got pissed on by some rodents….

Evinrude 25
            Participant
              outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Looks like a parts motor to me too! If the prop is good, that would be worth $20 or $30 if you need that prop for another motor.
                Dave

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That powerhead looks like it sat in rodent piss as well….Too much money for that risk…
                  I am assuming you have bought this engine, correct? If so, go ahead and pull the cylinder head off to have a look, so you know what you are dealing with. The powerhead sure looks shot, but you never know….Never judge a book by its cover, I keep learning this the hard way….
                  Have you drained the gear lube? If so, how does it look? There is much more wrong with this engine than just the suspected bad powerhead, you need to pull it apart somewhat so you know what you have got, then make the decision about rejuvinating this thing…

Evinrude 25
                  Participant

Hello Fleetwin,
                    “The powerhead sure looks shot, but you never know….Never judge a book by its cover, I keep learning this the hard way…” You are my mentor! Yes, I bought it since the worst case, I could use some parts for my 1973 20HP or convert it to electric start motor. I spent time on the weekend to tear it a part with a lot of swearing when cutting and drilling. Finally I managed to get the motor completely apart. The lower unit needs to rebuilt but it does not look bad. The cylinder, piston and crankshaft looks good. Only the bottom cylinder got seized so I put ATF in for now. Could I heat the block up to loose this cylinder? This motor was sunk and then left to dry out and rust up as per your previous post.

Capture10

Capture11

Capture12

Capture13

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.
                    Evinrude 25
                    Participant

I try to get the block sand blasted and to drill out the broken bolts.

Capture17

Capture16

Capture15

Capture14

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.
                      Mumbles
                      Participant

So is it a 25 horse motor? They have different cranks and pistons than the 18 – 20 horse motors. Easiest way to tell them apart without measuring the pistons is to look at the crank. A 25 crank will have steel counterweights attached to it while the 18 and 20 horse cranks wont.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 43 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.