Home Forum Ask A Member 1973 4 HP Evinrude/Johnson points

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CARY PALMER
    Participant

US Member

The manual for my 1973 4 hp Evinrude  states in several places “DO NOT FILE POINTS”.  is this really a no-no and, if so, why?

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

points-1

there is certainly a theory behind the statement but I doubt anybody worries to much about it … just touch them up with 150 -200 grit paper and  wipe clean   with a business card soaked in carb cleaner .

you can shine them up with  emery  paper  300 grit + …  wipe clean

just keep in mind that  “dressing  points” contacts is a temporay solution  it helps  but they will eventually  arc and  get pitted again…… new  points  are eventually needed. ..

see step #5 in the manual

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

CARY PALMER
        Participant

US Member

Thanks Crobyman!  I think for now I will dress them up and see what happens.  I have already rebuilt the carb and fuel pump and am real close to seeing if she will run.  BTW, your moniker reminds me of my uncle who had a Crosley that he ran around his resort with on Lake Lipsie (now known as Lipset Lake) over near Spooner Wisconsin.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I had  a Crosby Cruisette …came with  2 bunks  head  sink  water  reservoir   🙂

sold  it to an idiot  who  has let it  soak rain and sun for 20 years .sitting on a trailer.

ran great with just a  Merc Classic 50  but rated 90hp

visit Fiberglassics  for more info on Crosby boats

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

seakaye12
            Participant

US Member

When you remove the points from the motor, take them apart and polish them to a mirror-like chrome finish with fine grit wet/dry sandpaper….you will see why filing them is just not the best thing to do.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.