Home Forum Ask A Member 1974 Evinrude Mate 2.0HP won't idle.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I did check spark with a in line spark tester. I get spark from idle to high speed. (I put a drill on it to spin it ). Also, I looked but did not see any shorting of the spark plug wires. The other motor does the same thing but has a prop on it. Remember, we got 3. I did not check compression so that is my next step. Then I guess it is on to swapping parts with the known good motor.

Oh…forgot to answer the question about the gas tank. It is just a gravity feed. No pump, no bulb. It has a good enough flow to run my 10HP. Do you think it is not getting enough fuel because of the “loop”?

Stand by ……

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by huntleybill.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member

I got it—–maybe.
        1. Is the mag plate ground wire present?
        2 Is the throttle cam follower made of metal?

Theory: Metal cam follower is acting as a ground for the mag plate until retarded enough to quit touching the cam (and ground wire is missing)

If ground wire is not missing and cam follower is not metal, just throw this theory in the trash.

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I can confirm that the ground wire is there. I will have to double check the cam follower. Not sure about that

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, sounds like you did a spark check by cranking the engine at several throttle settings, am I correct?
            If so, I would definitely use one of the little inline neon spark testers to confirm/deny spark issues while it is running.
            The other engine does the exact same thing, even with a prop installed? Seems like a strange coincidence….Have you checked to see if the carb butterlies move freely? The throttle shafts might be sticky/binding keeping the throttle plate from closing properly at lower speeds, this is pretty common on these little engines.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.