Home Forum Ask A Member 1974 Mercury 40 HP trim/tilt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hotpickle
    Participant

Hey all, I’m trying to figure out how to rig up some sort of a trim/tilt for my bluestripe merc, and googling it is a bit confusing, almost too many directions to go. I was hoping to get a little guidance to get started if you guys can help? I don’t want to spend the money on a CMC unit.

What I’m hoping to achieve with the unit is an easy way to trim or tilt the motor for when I get into shallower bays or want to beach the boat, without having to hop around to get to the back to yank it up, I just want to streamline things a bit. So it can be a manual pump too, doesn’t have to be automatic.

Does anyone know where I can find a general schematic of a trim/tilt unit that fits a 40 horse? I don’t know much about them, so I’m hoping to get a general overview of all the parts involved so I can start putting a list together of what I need.

I’ve also seen a lot of home projects using linear actuators, is this what I am going to be looking for to move the actual motor?

Any info is greatly appreciated, let me know if you have done this as well! I don’t quite know where to start here. Thanks!

chinewalker
      Participant

US Member

I think you have two options, unless you’re a machinist. Find complete saddle bracket with clamps and trim unit integral from a 1980s era 35-50 hp model, or bite the bullet and get the CMC unit. The 1980s era 35/45/50 all use an updated clamp bracket with a nice, compact trim unit, but still use the old style exhaust housing, so I believe it could be adapted to fit your motor without too much modification. It likely would require some extensive surgery to your motor to install it, though, as the mid-section needs to come apart – powerhead and lower unit off, etc. I can’t think of any reasons why it wouldn’t work, though…

hotpickle
        Participant

Ok, thanks! Seems daunting but something to play with. Could an OMC tilt be made compatible with the merc? If not, what makes it incompatible? Thanks!

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

That is CMC not OMC. look for it on Ebay

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.