Home Forum Ask A Member 1975 25hp starter question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hiawatha
    Participant

US Member

i have left my motor on the back of my boat without using it for 2 years, went to clean it up and find out mice have lived in the motor and had made a mess, the starter won’t engage, i sure sticking bendix, any short cuts to bust it loose? is the rebuild tricky?

dave
      michigan

Hiawatha
      Participant

US Member

i know if you pull apart a ford n series tractor starter you need to be an octopus to put it back together
        thanks again

dave
        michigan

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

I’ve cured two of those stuck starter drives by spraying wd-40 on the gear/shaft/spring mechanism and then worked the starter motor gear up by rotating the gear with my fingers a few times and that took care of it. Any thin oil you can spray in there should loosen it up.

Of course you want to vacuum the mouse stuff out first.
          Dave

chinewalker
          Participant

US Member

Nothing too complicated in there. Best to remove it, take it apart and clean it up. Some small putty knives to hold the brushes in place may help in reassembling.

Steve D
            Participant

Also, contact with or breathing in stuff left behind by mice can be a health hazard so take precautions when cleaning that mess up…mask, gloves, disinfectant, proper disposal, etc. Doing a search for "mouse urine" or other related terms brings up a lot of articles about that.

Attachments:

Hiawatha
              Participant

US Member

thanks all, got it going!!!

dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.