Home Forum Ask A Member 1976 chrysler 6hp bogs when throttled up

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    davesko
    Participant

Help!!! I have a 76 chrysler 6hp that will idle all day long but as soon as you give it gas it bogs or stalls completely. I have great spark,compression and rebuilt the carb and cleaned it thoroughly twice but it still bogs. Tried richening the low speed as suggested but it doesnt help. I have the linkage adjusted per the manual. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated as im running out of patience with this one. Thanks dave

ryanjames170
      Participant

almost sounds like your blowing out the spark.. weak ignition system would be my guess. i only say this because its a common thing with drag racing and i had this issue with my truck turned out my ignition coil was taking a dump on me..

phil-b
        Participant
          quote davesko:

I have great spark

Hi Dave,

Define "great"?

Jumping the spark plug gap in open air isn’t a good enough test: it’s harder for sparks to travel in compressed air.

I seem to recall that 2:1 compression has the same effect as doubling the gap in open air. So say you’re at sea level (where air pressure is about 15 PSI), and you measured 90 PSI compression, that’s 6:1 compression and the MINIMUM open air gap to test with would be 6 times the spark plug gap. So if the gap is supposed to be 0.030, then the open air gap would need to be 0.120 (or about an eighth of an inch). OMC magnetos are often tested for being able to jump a quarter inch gap, but because if they’re in good shape they will (with a bright blue color and an audible "snap"), not because they have to in all cases!

davesko
          Participant

Thanks guys, Spark was jumping a quarter inch gap, but it makes sense, the points were extremely dirty when I first got this motor and really had to work at cleaning them up! Perhaps not clean enough? Possible coil or condenser issue? This thing runs soooo nice at an idle and as soon as you touch the throttle it bogs or dies. Thanks again guys

ryanjames170
            Participant

Check out Chrysleroutboarddude out on youbute i didnt think about it untill this morning but he did a video on this a while back with the posible issues that could be causing what your having happen

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.