Home Forum Ask A Member 1976 Evinrude 9.9 hp 10624G

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

any thing bad to know about these ..it has a electric starter and a cord pull starter which seems nice to have

thanks for comments

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
      Participant

’74 to ’76 models have what is known as a Low Tension magneto which can cause running issues as the points have to be clean and gapped properly and the condensers have to be in good shape for it to work right. Once everything under the flywheel is set up properly, they are a reliable motor.

One weak point on the 9.9/15 horse motors is the upper mounts directly below the powerhead. They are bathed in the exhaust and tend to deteriorate over time. If the mounts are shot, the gap between the exhaust housing and the pivot tube will be wider at the top and the paint will usually be blackened in this upper area as the exhaust gases leak past the sealing grommet. The 386033/436469 mounts are quite pricey at $100 per but there is a way to repair them at home for a fraction of that cost.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

good to know…. I am bidding at $75 on a locked up one ….if it bombs out i’ll have sparts for you all 🙂

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Do you have other 9.9/15s you plan to use this “donor engine” for? Hard to know why it is locked up, could be either the powerhead or gearcase…Or, could be something as simple as parts jammed under the flywheel. I’m sure you will earn the $75 back quickly, especially if the gearcase is OK. Believe it or not, one of the valuable pieces is the intake bypass cover with the mount for the electric starter, who would have guessed that?? The electric start flywheel would be much more valuable if it was for the CDII ignition models, but the 1976 flywheel is unique for the 74-76 low tension models.
            Post some pictures once you have the engine, hopefully it can be freed up easily..

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the seller has not responded to my….” if you don’t get to sell it I am willling to buy at $75 as a parts motor” offer

could be an anchor could be a gem like my $50 9.5hp

wait and see game for now 🙂

IMG_1502

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by crosbyman.
              • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Mumbles.
              frankr
              Participant

US Member

’74-’76 9.9 & 15hp motors were painted the wrong color. Should have been bright lemon yellow.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I may not have to paint it yellow…. no reply on my bid yet 🙂

David Bartlett
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

’74-’76 9.9 & 15hp motors were painted the wrong color. Should have been bright lemon yellow.

I won’t argue with that statement.

David Bartlett
                    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

JOHN HOLBIK
                    Participant

We bought one new in 1975 for rental at the resort two front mounts the first season many many fouled spark plugs.I had a very good friend who came up from Illinois to fish every year. He was was the manager of the propeller and engineniering department for OMC. Don told me to sell the 9.9 and wait as they were coming out with CDI and other improvements which was wise advice. We bought quite a few 9.9 and 15 hp of later vintage and they were a great engine.
                      The only thing I regret is that at 19 years old he offered to send me through OMC training and start a career with them.He was heavily involved with OMC racing And had a couple of propellers special made for my RD15.
                      Good memories

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.