Home Forum Ask A Member 1976 Evinrude manual starter question

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    cajuncook1
    Participant
      quote FrankR:

Correct washer, or something somebody had just laying around? Maybe too thin??? If the washer is in there and is the correct one, then I dunno, something bent or something? The thru-bolt is supposed to be tight, no doubt about that.

I believe Frank, is right with above suggestion about an incorrect washer. There is a washer but I don’t think it is thick enough. The top washer should be loose and free with movement, but it is not. I compared it to my 1984 Evinrude 15hp. I going to order the correct washer for the starter.

Thanks, for all the suggestions, this was the first time messing around with that type of starter.

Cheers,

David T.

optsyeagle
      Participant

To correct the handle hanging after recoil problem, all I did was remove it from it’s mounted position, hold it very tight and turn the starter by hand to use up the excess rope until the starter is butting up against the inside of front of the motor housing. Now, holding it very tight I pulled it back against the tension of the spring to its mounting position and then mounted it, under tension. I then bolt it and yes, the center bolt has to be tight.

So now, when not in use the starter is still under a little spring tension so it recoils all the way back and the handle gets stopped by the front casing of the motor. No more excess rope.

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.