Home Forum Ask A Member 1979 Johnson 6hp Rewind Starter

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi Jim,
      Thanks for the tip. I’ll get back after this thing tomorrow night if I get a chance. I’m rebuilding the carb, replacing the plugs and servicing the water pump as well as fixing the starter. That should get this one back up and running.
      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hello All,
        I got this starter back together and working again. I could only physically get about 13.5 turns out of the spring before it bound to the point where it felt like it caught and would permanently deform of I turned it any more. At that tension it fully retracts and works well. It wasn’t too bad now that I got through it. I wouldn’t hesitate to do another one now. I should have the rest of the parts tomorrow amd should have this motor up and running by the weekend.

The owner of this motor actually brought me two motors to work on. The other one is a pretty nice original ’63 Fisherman. It needs a basic tune up and water pump service. I’ll do the lower crank seals while I have the powerhead off. Change the gearcase oil and it should be good to go. Maybe I can get them both done this weekend and get back to some of my own projects again. :D. I have a pretty nice QD 16 I’m anxious to get revived. Thanks again for all your help!
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.