Home Forum Ask A Member 1980S Evinrude 7.5 re-coil problems

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mgsolakis
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I pulled my recoil the other day after it was not working and I found that the plastic tab on the bottom of the coil had broken off in the spring. I had a some parts kicking around and used another identical re-coil. Pulled the line and turned it counterclockwise 13 or so times to put tension on the spring and re attached the pull cord. It recoils fairly well until I screw down the two top bolts to secure the recoil. Then it seems to stick and a even winding it by hand is difficult. When I losen the top bolts again and relax the recoil in its slot it rewinds again. Any suggestions?

chinewalker
      Participant

US Member

Is the spool seated properly in the base? Is there a bushing in the base?

mgsolakis
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

What does the bushing look like? I assume that it would not recoil at all if it was not seated but then what do I know. Never done this type of recoil before.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, there is a delicate little plastic bushing between the bottom of the spool and spring retainer plate….It may have gotten out of place/jammed/deformed….
            I don’t think there is much difference between any of these parts used over the years, but perhaps the rewind you installed is a little different than the original….

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hmmm….Maybe you left the original bushing in the retainer plate, and there was still a bushing on the replacement spool. So now you have two bushings which is jamming the spool….Just a thought….D

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.