Home Forum Ask A Member 1983 70 HP Johnson poor running

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    johnrude
    Participant

Gentlemen,
      I wrote and was responded to buy several members about my Johnson’s problem. Starts and idles perfectly well and will accelerate to about 3500 (full mag advance). Riding around a while, I opened the throttle full, motor comes to 5000 that is 400 less than normal, and falls flat. “Feel”s like it’s running on all three cylinders but stumbling and does not have enough power to plane a 17′ Whaler that normally will go 36mph. After my previous note, I cleaned the three carburetors and did find small black flecks in the float bowls. Cleaned and reassembled the motor still starts and idles fine but again stumbles and slows after a short run at full open throttle. I added a small inline filter that looks clean as does the original screen filter.The linkage is all working normally with the magneto moving to full stop. 140,133, and 140 compression. Changed to new set of Champions plugs. It does not have choke plates but rather a selinoid that injects fuel by pushing in the key switch. Doing that it stumbles further as to much fuel? Any thoughts? Thanks!

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, you had the bowls off, but did you remove and clean the high speed jets that are in the bowls behind the hex drain plugs?
        Find something that can pinch off the hoses to the carb primer nipples. If you can’t find something to clamp off the hoses, simply remove and plug them two at a time…
        Now try the primer again at high speeds where the engine falters. Repeat this until you have tried each cylinder on its own. Hitting the primer with all three hoses connected might have confused the issue a bit.
        RPM should drop if the cylinder is firing correctly
        RPM will pick up if there is a fuel supply/carb problem with the cylinder
        RPM will stay the same if the cylinder isn’t firing, which doesn’t seem to be your issue
        One final point. Sometimes those brass primer nipples of the carbs get plugged up with will confuse the issue because there will be no RPM drop/increase on a cylinder with a plugged nipple…
        So, try pushing the primer at slower speeds when the engine is running OK (one cylinder at a time), the RPM should drop down because you are flooding the cylinder. Clean out the brass nipple if RPM doesn’t drop at lower RPMs.
        I know we have discussed this before, but perhaps there is a fuel supply issue to the carbs…I think you have already had the filter cap off. Have you tried a separate 6 gallon tank and hose (make sure it is premixed 50:1). Have an assistant pump the primer bulb while the engine is misbehaving also…

johnrude
        Participant

Fleetwin,
          These are all good points. I did remove and clean the Hi,Mid and low speed jets except for the bottom carb as one of the ears was missing on the hi speed and a screw driver could not turn it. With a small wire and light it appeared as clean as the other two. I will try a different tank/fuel line and check the solenoids action. Are your thoughts that one or more cylinder isn’t getting enough fuel for some reason? The clear plastic disposable fuel filter I put in between the carburetors and original fuel pump/filter show a flow when it’s running

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, it does seem like some sort of fuel starvation issue from what you describe. But, that is just a guess, I am not there. Try the primer test and we will go from there. Does your inline filter show any signs of more debris? Just because the clear filter shows fuel flowing, doesn’t mean it is flowing properly, to all three carbs. Those little black plastic fuel line tees that distribute fuel to the three carbs could be an issue, those little fuel lines might be kinked or coming apart internally. I even had one relatively new engine years ago that had a piece of the steel float arm hiding under the float inlet needle seat cutting off fuel to one carb intermittently.
            I’m hoping this is just an issue of that lower high speed jet having some debris in it, perhaps the broken brass ear is floating around in there.
            Usually fuel pump issues occur at lower speeds, the engine won’t even get to high speed. There could be an air leak somewhere also. Or, the boat’s fuel system might be messed up creating a restriction/air leak. I am trying to remember, did you try a separate 6 gallon tank/hose?

johnrude
            Participant

Once again, good points Fleetwin. I do have a spare tank but need to pick up a spare hose. I will replace the three small feeder fuel lines and thoroughly test/check the choke selenoid action. As you point out that should at least narrow down what independent cylinders are misbehaving. I removed the floats but didn’t disturb the needle seats only blowing carburetor cleaner through them. Several years ago I did replace the carburetor fuel lines and seam to recall finding a small plastic chip that looked like a finger nail. Not the same thing but the alcohol in the fuel I think can cause problems particularly in “seasonal” used/stored motors. I appreciate your sounding board responses!

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This spring, I helped my neighbor with his 40, which has pretty much the same style carb design. As many times as I had done them before, somehow I put one float in upside down. The engines will run low speed okay that way but loose fuel at higher speeds on that carb if you make this mistake, which is easier to do than you might think….

Long live American manufacturing!

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Why the difference in compression on #2?

johnrude
                  Participant

So far the 7lb difference in compression may be 37 years of dependable seasonal service. I will check the floats once agin Bill.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Has anybody suggested water getting into a cylinder?

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Has anybody suggested water getting into a cylinder?

Not yet Frank, water intrusion is always a good possibility on these three cylinders with the complicated exhaust manifold…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.