Home Forum Ask A Member 1983 70 HP Johnson poor running

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

That was my thought, for whatever it is worth. Water damage could be why compression is down on #2.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That was my thought, for whatever it is worth. Water damage could be why compression is down on #2.

He will certainly have to investigate this possibility if carb troubleshooting doesn’t turn up any problems. His symptoms don’t indicate a dropped cylinder, just seems like one cylinder is down on power. Water intrusion, cylinder damage surely could explain it….

johnrude
        Participant

Gentlemen,
          I disassembled the carburetors again and found a small black fleck in the center float bowl. I may have missed it the last time or the fuel lines that I did clean but didn’t replace may be deteriorating. So new hypalon fuel hose and a replacement fuel pump kit will replace everything rubber from original. Still waiting for delivery of one high speed jet by mail should replace all questionable fuel related bits. The water leakage issue is a interesting suggestion. The motor came back up to 5000 rpm before slowing after my first “cleaning” so would a water leak be suspect? The boating season in Connecticut is slipping away so I would really like to resolve this one little glitch. Thanks for the suggestions!

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Water intrusion is always a possibility….But, water intrusion will usually affect idle, I am asssssuming your engine idles normally/fine. Regardless of all the work you have done on your carbs, I am not yet convinced this isn’t fuel system related. Have you done the primer test we have spoken about?
            I surely don’t want you to rip into the powerhead looking for problems before we have ruled out the fuel system.

johnrude
            Participant

Fleetwin,
              I put a rebuild kit into the fuel pump and will replace all of the rubber fuel line pieces. I’m waiting on a replacement high speed jet before it all goes back together again. I will rig up something to test the individual cylinders response to the selinoid choke injection as you suggested. Your appraisal of a fuel issue feels correct. It starts, runs and idles as it always had. I will try the spare fuel tank and if there is a reocurance, try the hose bulb primer. I hope it’s got nothing to do with the reed valves as they don’t seem to be available anymore.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Fleetwin,
                I put a rebuild kit into the fuel pump and will replace all of the rubber fuel line pieces. I’m waiting on a replacement high speed jet before it all goes back together again. I will rig up something to test the individual cylinders response to the selinoid choke injection as you suggested. Your appraisal of a fuel issue feels correct. It starts, runs and idles as it always had. I will try the spare fuel tank and if there is a reocurance, try the hose bulb primer. I hope it’s got nothing to do with the reed valves as they don’t seem to be available anymore.

We are not trying to scare you when we mention the water intrusion possibility. Unfortunately, this engine series is more prone to water intrusion due to its complex exhaust manifold. I always recommend retorquing all those manifold bolts frequently to avoid this situation.
                I am pretty confident that your situation is a result of a fuel restriction somewhere, especially when you mention the little black flakes in the carb bowls. Perhaps your boat’s fuel system is messed up creating a fuel restriction/air leak also, which is why I recommended trying a different tank/hose.
                Not to worry about the reeds being messed up, that would be my last “guess”. Messed up reeds are more likely to be noticed at idle. But, as always, anything IS possible.

You could also try the “oil can method” if results from the primer test are inconclusive. In other words, fill a little oil squirt can with 50:1 mix, and remove the air box cover. Have an assistant drive the boat and get it to misbehave. Give each carb throat a little squirt, one at a time, to see how they respond.
                RPM should drop on a good cylinder
                RPM will pick up briefly on a cylinder starving for fuel
                No response either way usually means that cylinder is not firing at all for some reason. I wouldn’t expect this result in your situation

Txgunslinger
                Participant

Johnrude, So, what was the outcome ? What did you find the issue? Thanks Tx

johnrude
                  Participant

I replaced one coil, disassembled and cleaned the carburetors again and replaced all of the fuel hoses at the engine. Replaced one plastic fuel tank and fuel line and seems to run fine. I also disassembled the starter and replaced the brushes as well as cleaned the brush rubbing contact surface. Also replaced the roller bearing housing and seal just under the water pump. Hopefully that cures the water intrusion into the gear case. Fleetwin has been offering much appreciate guidance and suggestions that we will have to wait till next spring to try out.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.