Home Forum Ask A Member 1987 8hp Evinrude – no spark

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rjoynt
    Participant

US Member

Need some advice. I cleaned all the contacts, still no spark. Power pack, coils, ? Is there anyway to check these parts? I have a coil tester. Model 31 and Model 51.
      Thanks
      Bob

Mumbles
      Participant

You’ll need specialized equipment to check the power pack but the ignition coils and charge coil and sensor under the flywheel can be checked with an ohmmeter. I don’t have the specs handy for them but someone here should.

One possible problem area to check would be the Amphenol connectors. The wires going in can be broken off inside the connector or the pins can be pushed out when reconnecting them. Corrosion in the connectors will cause issues to. If the pins are damaged, a new one can be crimped and soldered on quite easily. Also, check the wiring to the kill switch for shorts to ground. Any of these issues can cause a no start issue.

Free-Six-Horse-Teardown-014

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant

You might double check all the ground straps on the coils for corrosion. Check to be sure all the coil mounting bolts, fiber washers
          and ,metal washers are clean and in good shape and in the correct order sequence. One of our very experienced members told me about this, it is very important for the fiber washers and metal washers to be in the right order and clean.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
          Robbie Robertson

bayham3261
          Participant

If you haven’t done it yet, replacing spark plugs is a good start to eliminate the easy fixes… look at the wires for an insulation damage. simple stuff sometimes works. I’ve heard of the CD2 ignition systems just going dead all of a sudden. Hopefully this isn’t your issue.

A little information is a dangerous thing!

rjoynt
            Participant

US Member

All right, I’m eating some delicious crow! Just sitting in my shop looking over the responses and just knew that it was something simple. I was right! I’m used to working on 1940 – 1960 motors. Not ‘new ‘ motors. lol.
              This one is only 30 years young! In looking it over, I started playing with the tiller arm. Noticed that there was a kill switch on the end of it. Pulled out the button. Got great spark! As Hannibal used to say on the A Team; “I love it when a plan comes together!” Time to move it out of my shop and get on with the oldies again!
              Thanks for the help.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by rjoynt.
              fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is a great lesson for all of us….Never overlook the simple stuff, then check it again! Once we skip over the basics, and go looking for more complicated problems, we oftentimes get confused and invent/cause problems that aren’t there….. Now if I could only listen to/learn from my own advice……

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant

That 8 hp tiller kill switch should be spring loaded and a lanyard clip fits under the head of the push button. When you pull the lanyard clip out, the switch button should drop in towards the tiller and kill the spark.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mumbles is soooo right…..Those amphenol pins/sockets/connections are a major cause of simple problems that oftentimes gets overlooked. You will need to invest in those amphenol pin/socket remover/installer tools if you are going to work on the OMC CD ignition systems….
                    Never overlook the simple basic things on these systems….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.