Home Forum Ask A Member 1988 Johnson 9.9 NO spark.

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Doesn’t take too much debris to rub/damage that plastic sensor….Sometimes there is a little slop in the upper bearing that lets the crank/flywheel wobble around a bit also. I would set the components back .005″ from the coil locating ring using a feeler gage just to be sure there are no further problems….Be sure to replace the plastic mag plate bushing (322435) also, and lube the parts properly with OMC moly lube/outboard oil during assembly….

mark weaver
      Participant

Yes I will set everything back to be sure. Thank you for the part number as I did read somewhere or maybe seen on THIS OLD OUTBOARD that plastic bushing can cause problems. The mag plate seems tight but we are dealing with fine tolerances here so will cover all bases. Thanks.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

He’s is an amusing guy for sure, brings some humor to wrestling with stubborn old salty outboards…

mark weaver
          Participant

An update on the 1988 Johnson no fire. After changing everything EXCEPT the external ignition coils I done a test with a multitier on the trigger sensor.The OHM’s were supposed to be 35 to 50. Mine started at about 14 and went on to infinity or as long as the meter was on it the OHM’s went up one point at a time. I replaced the trigger and got strong blue spark. THANK YOU to all that replied to here with GOOD trouble shooting advise. I wanted to send a special shout out to Mumbles for going WAY out of his way to help me with advise and a trigger to fit the engine…thank you.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Glad it is resolved…. Did you remove the components from the original mag plate? Just wondering if the issue was a frayed/shorted lead, or physical damage to the sensor….

mark weaver
              Participant

It was a bad sensor, I tested it when I took it off by cutting the wires close to the sensor and still got that 14 to infinity reading. OHM’s just kept climbing as long as you left the meter on it.

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.