Home Forum Ask A Member 2 hp Johnson or Evinrude — should I get one?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so it seems like you have already bought the 82 2hp, correct? I guess step one is to check compression, although readings may vary due to the small combustion chamber and gage check valve location. Have you had the engine running? If so, how does it start and idle?
      You will need to decide just how much you want to service on the engine if it starts and runs OK now. I would at least pull the prop, check for fish line in the seal, and change the gear lube. These engines only have one fill drain screw, so you will have to tip the engine up and just let the lube drip out slowly due to the air lock. Filling will be tough also, best done with a little oil squirt can. You will need to tip the engine up with the drain hole facing up, fill until the lube seems to flow out of the fill hole, then let it sit for awhile so the air bubbles purge, then repeat this fill process a few more times until you are sure the gearcase is actually full.
      Making this engine a reliable daily runner will mean servicing the water pump, ignition, and fuel systems as well.
      Post some pictures of the engine with any questions you have….D

overland
      Participant

Haven’t picked it up yet, but this is good advice. Meanwhile, does anyone have any suggestions for how far back I should try to mount it? I’ll mount it on the side, as on a canoe, though my boat is a 17′ wooden dory that weighs about 100 pounds.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by overland.
        • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by overland.
        MARC BOUCHER
        Participant

US Member

I just want to concur with Cajuncook1’s post – I’ve had two different 1952 3 hp motors and they were fantastic. Easy to work on and reliable! Plus, they look cool.

Boats: '47 Dunphy, '64 Starcraft
          Motors:
          '53 Evinrude 25; '54 Evinrude 7.5; '55 Evinrude 7.5; '56 Evinrude 30 Lark; '56 Evinrude 16; '58 Johnson 18; '60 Evinrude 10; '64 Evinrude 40

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

Got my 63 lightwin running today . coils condensers clean points clean carb new fuel filter impeller. good for another 50 yrs.

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A 17′ wooden dory that weighs 100 pounds? That is some light wooden boat….is that right?

The further back the engine is, the better maneuverability you will have….

Long live American manufacturing!

terriblecj
              Participant

I use one on a canoe mount all the time. Mine is the 70’s Evinrude Mate. It is solid as a rock and I would much rather carry that than my lightwin any day and the speed difference on a canoe is negligible.

overland
                Participant

My boat is a stitch and glue model with okoume frames and planking, designed by Chesapeake Light Craft. I appreciate all the advice.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

go for a 3hp … 2 cyl engine is better than a 1 cyl engine. jmho JW are great little motors and would probably get you back to shore if you have 1 cyl down !

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

cajuncook1
                    Participant

go for a 3hp … 2 cyl engine is better than a 1 cyl engine. jmho JW are great little motors and would probably get you back to shore if you have 1 cyl down !

I have had that happen and she got me back to the dock 🙂

I later checked and I had not snugged down one of the points and it loosen and was running on one cylinder. I corrected that mistaken and she runs like a dream. If that would have been a single cylinder, well……..row row row your boat not so gently up the stream…..lol

But I have to admit the 1970s and early 80’s are good little motors.

Weight of the Evinrude/Johnson 3hp is about 37 pounds.

Weight of the Evinrude/Johnson 2hp is ???? (Anybody know?)

Cheers

overland
                      Participant

Here’s a question I forgot to ask but it occurs to me as I contemplate building a mount for my motor: How deep should it extend into the water?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.