Home Forum Ask A Member 2000 Johnson 50hp 2 stroke questions.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member

Well I opened the remote and found the shift lockout lever (325781) and shift lever assembly (390610) broken. I found a good used unit at a local johnnyrude dealer, and all is well. Turned out to be an all-day project. Fast idle lever works as it should – now just needs a little tweaking and should be good to go. I still need to address the PTT, but at least I can now get out and do some fishing!

lindy46
      Participant

US Member

What a frustrating motor. The remote has been replaced and I’ve gone through the link and synch adjustments as outlined in the service manual, but I can’t get the engine to idle worth a darn. The fast idle lever works so I can get her started but when I push the lever down, the motor barely keeps running and I have to quickly shift and give it gas or she stalls. The idle screw is set as far as it will go and I’ve turned the wheel on the throttle cable to try and increase the idle, but no luck. Once off idle she runs fine. Any ideas?

lindy46
        Participant

US Member

OK, update on my tilt problem. I decided to replace the o-rings on the manual release valve. I removed the valve and most of the fluid ran out. Replaced the two o-rings and re-installed the valve. Topped off the reservoir, and now the unit won’t trim up at all. At least before it trimmed up and down OK, just wouldn’t stay up. Now it seems to hold position OK, but won’t tilt up, just down. Motor runs fine.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well I’m guessing you might not have gotten the manual release valve properly assembled or it isn’t screwed all the way in and seated properly. Can you raise ten engine by hand with the manual release valve seated all the way in? If so some thing got messed up. Are you sure there is enough fluid? Try filling it again with the engine tilted up fully and the trail lock engaged.

lindy46
            Participant

US Member

Got her working after talking to Dan-in-tn. She was really low on fluid. I had to raise (by hand) and lower the motor about 10 times, and adding fluid on each up-cycle. With each addition of fluid, the motor became a little easier to lift until eventually she went up on her own. Now she raises up properly and holds position! No leaks.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool, glad the tilt problem is resolved….How are you doing on the idle issue? Do you have the correct Johnson service manual for this engine, generic manuals will just confuse you….This engine is extremely difficult to syncronize properly, and very fussy indeed….Over engineered to say the least… Make sure both throttle plates are completely closed at idle…Don’t forget this engine does have adjustable idle fuel needles…I don’t remember the initial setting off hand though…

dan-in-tn
                Participant

US Member

Got an email saying you got the unit full of fluid. Congrats! Glad that did the trick. Have you taken compression? The cylinders need to be very even on this loop charged engine. Like Don says all the simple things need to be done, but be sure and look at compression too. A scored cylinder (or just scuffed) can cause these engines to have a poor idle.

Dan in TN

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by dan-in-tn.
                  lindy46
                  Participant

US Member

Got the idle issue pretty much resolved. Idle is a little rough but she starts fine and trolls at about 3mph. I’ve got the slow speed needles set at 2.25 turns out which idles better than the recommended 3.5 turns out. Now that I’ve got the boat out of the water, I’ll do some tweaking over the winter. I may pull the carbs and clean/rebuild them. Thanks Guys for your help!

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool! Now you have the winter to review the complicated sync procedure and ask questions so you can do it correctly. These engines are not the smoothest idlers, so don’t try to achieve that…Better to leave it slightly rich/rough than have it dialed in to the point where it might fade at idle due to being slightly lean…
                      And, like Dan says, check the compression. These loop scavenged engines won’t tolerate too many imperfections/damage/scuffs/scores, poor idle will usually result. I am always suspect when I see a 2-3cyl OMC with “jacked up” sync settings…This usually means someone has cobbed up the sync settings in an effort to get a worn out engine to idle OK…

lindy46
                      Participant

US Member

I’m used to the 50’s and 60’s 35hp and 40hp motors which I could always get to idle down really smoothly. You’d think the newer technology would be as good as or better. I guess that’s not always the case. Sometimes the simple technology is better. I hate to mess with it too much as it always starts easily, idles pretty good now, and runs great at high speed. I believe it is a low hours motor, as it looks like new. I’ll go ahead and check compression and report on that.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.