Home Forum Ask A Member 25hp cylinder head assembly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hiawatha
    Participant

US Member

well after removing my coils to clean them a bolt busted off on top of the lower coil, i tried an easy out to no avail, any ideas? if i bone yard it and find it a replacement is the cylinder head assembly easy to seal? i know some of the older motors it’s difficult to seal, once again any ideas?

thanks
      dave

frankr
      Participant

US Member

No problem if you follow the usual procedure, meaning a new gasket and make sure the surfaces are clean and flat. BTW, are you aware the 25hp head is different than the 18-20hp, even though they all look identical? No, you cannot substitute the wrong one.

If you busted the easy-out in there, that’s too bad. It probably could have been saved otherwise.

Hiawatha
        Participant

US Member

should it be torque wrenched down? any ideas where to find the cylinder head assembly? i’m sure swap meets, i’ll get looking on ebay

thanks again
          dave

dougs-outboards
          Participant

What model, make and year are you talking about here please?

Steve A W
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Start with our "Free Classifieds" , place a want to buy ad.
              Also check out the "Links" page accessed from the home page.
              Good luck with your motor.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
              I live in Northwest Indiana

Steve D
              Participant
                quote vidaliaman:

any ideas where to find the cylinder head assembly? i’m sure swap meets, i’ll get looking on ebay

Doug, I’m pretty sure he’s referring to a 1975 Evinrude 25 HP that he mentioned in another post.

Dave, Be careful buying on eBay because lot of listings aren’t accurate or don’t have enough clarifying pictures. They might list a cylinder head and say "fits 18, 20, 25 HP motors"…or something like that. It might physically fit but it won’t be right for your motor. As Frank mentioned you can’t substitute, and Johnyrude200 had some nice info on a previous post about cylinder heads too. It would help to read it over to be sure you get what you need. And as others said too, place a wanted ad here.
                viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14247&p=74518&hilit=25+cylinder+head#p74518
                http://runneroutboards.com/motor101/pow … ifferences

Attachments:

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

maybe you can just drill around the busted ezout, knock it out, then helicoil or thru bolt the coil….Although I’m thinking these are blind holes so you will have to loosen up the ezout and pull it out…
                  I just hate to see you spending money for a cylinder head on an engine you haven’t had running yet, might have other issues….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.