27 Johnson P35 lower unit

Home Forum Ask A Member 27 Johnson P35 lower unit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• lyks2tinkr

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 402
    Topics: 55

After finding a decent set of lower unit bushings for my P35 I started reassembly.
    For setting the drive shafts and pinion depth am I correct in assuming the short upper DS bushing controls the pinion depth?
    I’ve got it set now so I can just get the pinion gear pin in and slide the pin retainer down.

I can conveniently see the gear mesh through the large plug opening. When I adjust the prop shaft I can see the pinion rise a bit as I get an even gear mesh.
    The pinion pin retainer seems a bit of a loose fit and I’m wondering if it will drift up when running.
    I couldn’t find in the manual the procedure.
    Your input is welcomed.

As a side note, these are really beefy lower units. They look like they could handle lots of power.

adam1961

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 366
    Topics: 88

I am not sure about the P35. On the later 45 series, you set the gear lash by adjusting the threaded stud in the nose of the gearcase and then locking it with the nut. This sets the propshaft gear relative to the pinion. I can’t recall what holds the pinion in a fixed position.

lyks2tinkr

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the reply. The P35 also adjusts with the large screw on the nose cone.
    I’m just wondering if the drive shafts and power head hold the pinion down.
    I have a Couple 28 P40s that use the same LU that I can look at to see.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by lyks2tinkr.

lyks2tinkr

US Member - 2 Years

I learned a long time ago that even though a motor looks and feels good it really is good to disassemble and check things. Look what I found today.
    Looks like the brass collar pin broke and took out the water tubes on my P35 leg.

David Bartlett

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 571
    Topics: 24

Phil,
    That was a good catch!

David Bartlett
    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

lyks2tinkr

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks. I think it can be saved.
    I’m going to try and tap some thin wall brass or aluminum tubing down into the water tubes.
    The leg is in nice condition and would hate to scrap it.

marc.h.

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 26
    Topics: 9

Did you sort out your cooling tube in the driveshaft casing?
    I have the same issue with my TR40 casing. It happens when the driveshaft sticks to the crankshaft and someone tries to remove the driveshaft casing. Mine has 2 small holes not as mangled as yours. I think a drop of jbweld inside and the on the outside should work.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.