Home Forum Ask A Member 3 hp not pumping water

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member

This one has me perplexed. 1968 evinrude. New water pump impeller, wear plate, water tube grommet. Housing in great shape. All holes and passageways open. Made an attachment and flushed water up throughout water tube, through block and back out passageway in block into leg. When running Very little water If any comes out the small holes in leg. Head gets hot. To the point you can’t hold your hand on it but has not discolored any paint. It runs like a champ. Never has died or seized up. What am I missing? Thanks

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

test the pump before you install the lower on the motor. use a drill and bucket of water.
        I think the head is not water cooled could be wrong . if it was a mercury I would have the answer . they are what I am into.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well it has water jackets around the cyl and cyl head so it is water cooled for certain

is the water tube grommet installed

is the little vent hole in the pump upper housing plugged up

fish a stiff wire up the water tube & turn look for obstructions

is this a new problem…. the run hot

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
          Participant

US Member

The cylinder head is only water cooled around the edges. Likewise, the flat exhaust cover on the side is only water cooled along one side. The other areas of those two parts have fire inside, and do get hot. Furthermore, only a spray is expected to blow out those holes in the backside—whatever just happens to blow out by chance. The rest goes out the underwater exhaust. There may not be anything wrong with your motor. Especially if the other parts do not get hot.

Mumbles
            Participant

Everything is normal.. Enjoy your motor!

Tinman
              Participant

US Member

Crosbyman, I’ve had this thing off 3 times! Lol. Everything is clear. Frank, what other parts are you referring to? And very little comes out. Sometimes more than others but it is a fine spray sometimes just air. I can see most of it going out the bottom like you say. And mumbles if all seems ok I’m gonna run the tar out of it!! On my model f with my 12 buccaneer next to it, gas tank , trolling motor, battery, big box full of stuff it still went 4.5 mph. Not bad I don’t think. First time ever running a 3! Thanks all. !!!!

lindy46
                Participant

US Member

Everything is normal.. Enjoy your motor!

Agree – they run a little hot, and only a mist of water comes out the small holes in the leg.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like everyone has said, these engines tend to run hot, the temperature is measured on the stbd side of the block next to the ID plug. Is this engine new to you? Were you just doing the water pump as a matter of routine servicing, or was there a cooling issue before? Chances are pretty good there is nothing wrong with the engine, especially if the paint is not discolored/burnt on the head/block. The paint will appear to be burnt/blistered off the exhaust cover, this is normal.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Crosbyman, I’ve had this thing off 3 times! Lol. Everything is clear. Frank, what other parts are you referring to? And very little comes out. Sometimes more than others but it is a fine spray sometimes just air. I can see most of it going out the bottom like you say. And mumbles if all seems ok I’m gonna run the tar out of it!! On my model f with my 12 buccaneer next to it, gas tank , trolling motor, battery, big box full of stuff it still went 4.5 mph. Not bad I don’t think. First time ever running a 3! Thanks all. !!!!

“Other parts” means the rest of the motor, excluding the cylinder head and exhaust cover.

Tinman
                      Participant

US Member

Fleetwin, yes a new motor to me. And just doing routine service. Actually have several 3 hp. This is just the first one I’ve worked on! Frankr, thanks, I don’t think anything else is hot. Will recheck but from all the input I think I’m good to go! Thanks again everyone!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.