Home Forum Ask A Member 39/41 1.5 hp Evinrude

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    htbboats
    Participant

Sirs,
      I’m looking to see if there is a source for parts for this engine? It belongs to a friend and he’s ask me for assistance with it. I have not taken it apart yet but know the piston is stuck in the cylinder so for now I’m looking to see if what out there ?
      Numbers on the motor are: 4264. 02446
      Thanks Mark

lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

4264 and an early serial number make it a 1939 Elto Cub.

I would try some penatrating oil 1st. Patience is key when freeing up a stuck motor.
        You could start by separating the power head from the lower unit. The lower unit could be stuck.

Be gentle when dealing with the magneto. The spark plug tab on the secondary of the coil is poorly mounted and can break easily.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Your Elto Cub was one of the lightest outboards ever built, and will not stand up to much abuse. Built to be light weight weight and inexpensive, most have broken the skeg off the lower unit. The small magneto had to be in top shape and piston skirt ware could reduce its power to only running the water pump. A few thousandths would be enough to do them in (As a percentage of piston diameter) They were good on a canoe but only good for trolling on any sized boat. You paid a little more to get the Evinrude Mate which had side covers.

htbboats
          Participant

As you may see it’s been some time since I’ve been to this forum! Anyway would any parts be available for this motor and where do I go for them?
            Thanks Mark

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

There are several ways to get parts.

– You can post a “Wanted” ad for parts on the classified board here. The ad is free.
              – Search the classified ad board for parts.
              – Search E-bay and Craigslist for parts or a “parts motor”.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.X%22elto+cub%22.TRS0&_nkw=%22elto+cub%22&_sacat=0

– Contact a place like Twin City Outboard – an outboard junkyard that has motors going back to 1906 – they will mail parts
              http://twincityoutboard.com/
              – There are some members that deal in parts for these old motors. If you post a “wanted” ad, they will likely contact you. Once you deal with them, keep their name and contact info.

Most of these old motors need little or no parts – just a lot of TLC.
              Good Luck!
              Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.