Home Forum Ask A Member 40 Horse Post Poofed?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

I was just replying to a question about a 1960 forty horse which had been sitting for 18 years and the post seems to have disappeared. Anyone else notice this?

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

About 30 minutes ago I replied to it telling about bypassing wiring with jumper cables to see if the starter or the wiring was to blame, and some tips about the starter. It posted, but yeah – the whole thing is gone now.
        Dave

Mumbles
        Participant

OK, if the author returns, here’s something close to my original reply.

If the motor has been sitting for eighteen years, any oil in it has probably dried up so the cylinders should be lubricated thru the spark plug holes with fogging oil or something similar before cranking it over. Once it’s spinning, the same lube can be sprayed down the carbs throat to lubricate the crank and rod bearings. If it’s still sluggish with the plugs in, all of the electrical connections should be cleaned including the ground. They should be bright and shiny with no scale or corrosion for best results. The starter itself may need some maintenance to as the commutator can get dirty or the brushes may be worn or hanging up which can cause cranking difficulties. The compression release only comes into play when the motor is pulled over by the rope and you can see how the linkage is activated by a follower in the scroll which is in the rope starter housing.

DSC00020-1

DSC00023

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yup! I agree! Cleaning/resurfacing the commutator can work wonders. Nice before/after photos! My reply that went “poof” with the rest of the message string was mostly about cleaning the commutator and checking brushes.
            Dave

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

we never did get a good explanation on the site edits which generate poofing….

if we knew or had the list of BAD or unauthorized word sequences we could work around them , like I use to do by posting pictures instead or words of that red book we all cherish but caused spoofing

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.