Home Forum Ask A Member 40’s Evinrude parts?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    shoestringmariner
    Participant

I dragged home what I think will be a wall hanger. I think its a 1946 Evinrude #4412 Sportsman but it has poor compression (by feel). Should I assume parts for these are getting pretty scarce?

Sure is a neat looking little motor though. If I cant do anything to make it a runner, it will look good on display. What is the best way to clean these up without damaging the decals?

Attachments:

chris-p
      Participant

I use a light wd40 mix on all my new motors to clean them up and protect from future corrosion. Doesn’t make a very good lube, but I like it for cleaning.

Doug Penn will have anything you need for that little guy!

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

That’s a 1941 decal – parts are still around – The Elto Ace and Evinrude Sportsman used the same pistons. The Lightfour uses the same piston rings. Part number 101267 it says on my piston ring box – A gentleman at our international meet had 50 boxes. Since I have four Lightfours …

Lightfour pistons will not work because the wrist pin hole is 90 degrees out of phase. . . . 😀

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

I still have std. rings for Lightfour engines. My prices has gone up to $5 a set, but that’s 12 rings. (Complete set for a 4 cylinder LightFour). Just let me know what you need?

Dan in TN

shoestringmariner
            Participant

Wonderful, thanks everyone. Maybe I will tear into this one yet. Would be great on my square stern canoe! Would look great on my old 12′ cedar strip boat

shoestringmariner
              Participant

Also thrilled to know it is that old! There is not a single dent in the tank, but boy does it look harsh inside. Looked like brown tar had been seeping out…its going to take some work for sure.

How do people clean these tanks out? Is there a good soak method?

jdp
                Participant

I just cleaned out a 1940 Sportwin 3.3, first I dumped out all the sludge I could, then I filled it with 6 good sized nuts and 3 bottles of HEET dry gas. I then shook the tank around and let it sit for 3 hours agitating every 30 mins or so. I did this 3 times then rinsed with straight gasoline (not mixed with oil) . It knocked out of all of the sludge. I also used carb cleaner on the petcock and fuel lines and took apart the carb and cleaned that up. Runs fine but needs some adjustment now. It had been sitting since 1969.

chris-p
                  Participant

Release ALl, or Castrol Super Clean work well, but don’t leave it in tank for too long! A day or two tops, with nuts and bolts, shaking every so often usually does the trick.

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you have E85 on your area, that stuff does an decent job of dissolving sludge and the like from a fuel tank. Like ethanol blended gasoline will loosen up crud on the fuel system, E85 does that way better due.to the much higher percentage of ethanol. It’s tough on old rubber parts though, so just a word of caution there. Dry gas is just methanol (instead of ethanol) to put the water into solution and make it burnable and keep the water from freezing. E85 is just a lot cheaper than dry gas.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

shoestringmariner
                      Participant

Does anyone know decal sets are available for these ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.