Home Forum Ask A Member '46 SPEEDITWIN

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rapier
    Participant

Struggling to understand how the tiller and throttle cable to carb synchronisation & carb openings works on my ’46 Speeditwin. It was a project with a British Seagull / Villiers style throttle system originally, so I have no reference on how to do the setup. Everything is installed as per the grip schematic and the two pics you see (not my motor), but I’ve no manual as to how the throttle handle needs to be in relation to carb throttle openings / closing.

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

You’re worrying too much. Clean up the tiller and assemble it with a little lithium grease. (Lubraplate typeA – AKA LubraMatic) It only goes together one way. The adjustments are made at the carburetor. With the grip in the start position(straight up, midway between fast and slow) the throttle valve in the carburetor likewise should be adjusted to be half way open. Here is the starting instructions from the service manual . . .

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

We ran a 1950 Speeditwin last night. The twist throttle doesn’t do much. The timing advance does most of it. Fun motor.

86863622-4064-4792-AE74-65CB2E2F3BF5

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

rapier
          Participant

You’re worrying too much. Clean up the tiller and assemble it with a little lithium grease. (Lubraplate typeA – AKA LubraMatic) It only goes together one way. The adjustments are made at the carburetor. With the grip in the start position(straight up, midway between fast and slow) the throttle valve in the carburetor likewise should be adjusted to be half way open. Here is the starting instructions from the service manual . .

Garry, thanks, much appreciated. Here’s the motor, I wanted to use it, so kept parts of it as found.

I normally use lubriplate 105 in the LUs. Instead this green grease is in there, it doesn’t smell of grease or anything..can anyone identify what it might be?

rapier
            Participant

Looks great, I like the woody too.

kirkp
              Participant

Maybe John Deere cornhead grease

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Could be TSC Cottonpicker grease 00. If it’s thin enough I’d use it.

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.