Home Forum Ask A Member 50 Cent Hone Job

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member

Yes, here on the forum under Current Projects, see “Next Project – 1956 RD-18”. I picked this motor up back in March and have it all torn down right now. KInd of at a stopping point while I round up some parts and I’ll also be traveling the next month so probably won’t get back on it until late June/early July.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

BayouBengal
      Participant

Perfect! You do fantastic work and I’m really looking forward to following and learning from your postings.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The Javelin probably has the compression relief system, which would lower the compression while cranking with the recoil. Use the electric starter for more accurate compression readings…This surely is a rare engine, and you are lucky that the engine cover is complete and in nice cosmetic condition….
          So what are you going to do with the 18hp? I would bring it to a local AOMCI meet to get some more opinions….Perhaps someone will have an affordable used powerhead….Be sure to drain and inspect the gear lube before diving in too deep on this project….

BayouBengal
          Participant

I’d kind of decided to just sell off the parts of the 18HP and have actually listed it on the classifieds here, and I’d be willing to let it go really cheap or maybe even free if I knew the buyer was going to do something with it beside part it out. I really have no need for the motor even if it were rebuilt. The idea and challenge of bringing it back to life from where it’s been was intriguing; but, doing it with a different powerhead; not so much. I think I’d prefer to sell the guy with the used powerhead the rest of my motor instead and let him restore it, particularly if he has a boat he wants to put it on or a strong desire to own this particular model outboard.

Of course I’m new to this site and this club and just starting to get to know people from their posts and pictures. There seems to be a lot of collectors here and that’s cool, but it’s not me. I really don’t care to just display the motors on a rack, I want to use or see them used on a boat. I collected all of the above outboards during a short period of time around 2009 when I had the illusion that I’d build 10 more powerboats in my lifetime and put these motors on them. But my last boat which took over five years to build between 2012 and 2017 cured me of that notion. At present, I think the only powerboats I have left in me are a 13 to 15 footer that I’d put the Golden Javelin on and a 10 to 12 footer that I’d put my father-in-law’s old SeaKing 6HP on for his great grandchildren to enjoy. I expect I’ll part with the rest of these motors in the not too distant future, but at the moment, I’ve got a yearning to tinker with them. I’m pretty excited about Bobw’s RD-18 restore and am kind of thinking that maybe I can ride his coattails and benefit from his knowledge and restore mine right behind him. And with the dour prognosis of my powerhead from you gentleman here, that notion excites me more than doing anything further with the 18HP. I hope Bobw wouldn’t mind.

I’d love to meet personally with fellow AOMCI members but I don’t know how to do so. The site shows we have the Swamp Rats chapter in Covington, Louisiana only an hour away from me; but I can’t find any contact info for any members there or meetings scheduled. I registered myself in the members email directory, but I’m the only one in Louisiana registered there. From the AOMCI roster I can tell we have Louisiana members, who they are and where they live, but there’s no contact info given. There’s a few with addresses close enough that I could just ride over and knock on their door, but I hate to do that. A contact name and number for the Swamp Rats chapter would be appreciated; do you know where this would be listed or how I go about getting this? I can’t believe the contact info is not given, I guess I’m missing something that’s obvious. Thanks Don for your interest and guidance in my projects.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by BayouBengal.
            BayouBengal
            Participant

I’d kind of decided to just sell off the parts of the 18HP and have actually listed it on the classifieds here, and I’d be willing to let it go really cheap or maybe even free if I knew the buyer was going to do something with it beside part it out. I really have no need for the motor even if it were rebuilt. The idea and challenge of bringing it back to life from where it’s been was intriguing; but, doing it with a different powerhead; not so much. I think I’d prefer to sell the guy with the used powerhead the rest of my motor instead and let him restore it, particularly if he has a boat he wants to put it on or a strong desire to own this particular model outboard.

Of course I’m new to this site and this club and just starting to get to know people from their posts and pictures. There seems to be a lot of collectors here and that’s cool, but it’s not me. I really don’t care to just display the motors on a rack, I want to use or see them used on a boat. I collected all of the above outboards during a short period of time around 2009 when I had the illusion that I’d build 10 more powerboats in my lifetime and put these motors on them. But my last boat which took over five years to build between 2012 and 2017 cured me of that notion. At present, I think the only powerboats I have left in me are a 13 to 15 footer that I’d put the Golden Javelin on and a 10 to 12 footer that I’d put my father-in-law’s old SeaKing 6HP on for his great grandchildren to enjoy. I expect I’ll part with the rest of these motors in the not too distant future, but at the moment, I’ve got a yearning to tinker with them. I’m pretty excited about Bobw’s RD-18 restore and am kind of thinking that maybe I can ride his coattails and benefit from his knowledge and restore mine right behind him. And with the dour prognosis of my powerhead from you gentleman here, that notion excites me more than doing anything further with the 18HP. I hope Bobw wouldn’t mind.

I’d love to meet personally with fellow AOMCI members but I don’t know how to do so. The site shows we have the Swamp Rats chapter in Covington, Louisiana only an hour away from me; but I can’t find any contact info for any members there or meetings scheduled. I registered myself in the members email directory, but I’m the only one in Louisiana registered there. From the AOMCI roster I can tell we have Louisiana members, who they are and where they live, but there’s no contact info given. There’s a few with addresses close enough that I could just ride over and knock on their door, but I hate to do that. A contact name and number for the Swamp Rats chapter would be appreciated; do you know where this would be listed or how I go about getting this? I can’t believe the contact info is not given, I guess I’m missing something that’s obvious. Thanks Don for your interest and guidance in my projects.

bobw
              Participant

US Member

BayouBengal – I certainly don’t mind if you follow along with my RD-18 rebuild. One of the greatest benefits of being a club member is sharing of information. A lot of the work on my project was eliminated when I decided to buy an already rebuilt powerhead. Nonetheless, there’s a lot of steps in tearing this thing down into all it’s component parts, making all the other necessary repairs, prepping for new paint and decals and reassembling. I take a lot of pics along the way both during tear-down and reassembly and I’ll post progress photos on the Current Projects section of the forum as things move along. I’ll be sending you a Private Message shortly with more info.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

reivertom
                Participant

US Member

Don’t get fooled with the javelin compression. They have a compression release that activates when you pull the starter rope. Unhook it and I’ll bet you change your mind.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by reivertom.
                Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.