Home Forum Ask A Member '51 10 hp

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member

If I use the clear airplane dope, what is the process to apply? Do i sand down the cork float to remove any old sealant then would I dip the float or brush it on? And how much? Don’t want to weigh it down. And is the airplane dope ethanol resistant? Thanks.

lloyd
      Participant

US Member

If you use airplane dope, be sure it is the original type Butyrate dope. Some newer Dopes have clear urethane instead and will gum up when exposed to gasoline. And yes the original Butyrate dope is also ethanol proof. Sand the cork lightly, but you don’t need to remove all the old varnish sealant. Don’t need to dip the float. Just brush on several coats and use acetone to clean the brush or to thin the dope if needed. Don’t worry about using too much dope. It is very light when it dries. That’s why it is used on airplanes. Crazy glue/super glue also works but it is much heavier than Dope so must be used sparingly if at all.

Tinman
        Participant

US Member

Thanks! It sounds like the dope is the best way to go. And I have found it online. And I’ll make sure to get the butyrate kind. Thanks again for all the help. Bryan

Tinman
          Participant

US Member

Boy, this was a mess! Took a bit to clean everything up but came out clean and looking great. Gotta love black sludge (old grease I’m sure!) Gearset was definitely protected!!!

IMG_5348

labrador-guy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wow I bet it smelled good too! Did you notice those bolt holes are on the inside of the spaghetti seal? Remember to put some sealer on the treads and the heads of the bolts.

dale

Tinman
              Participant

US Member

It smelled wonderful! Lol. Garage still stinks. Hard to get off the hands too! I’m very generous with the 847. Should be sealed up tight. Thanks for the tip about the float. Worked out well.

bobw
                Participant

US Member

Man, that’s pretty gnarly! And it didn’t stink, it must have staaaank! But you’re right about the internals being protected – nothing could get through that mess.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                  1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                  "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.