Home Forum Ask A Member 57 3 hp Johnson Powerhead

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Yellowstone
    Participant

I bought a nice little motor alluded to in the subject line for not much. Looks nice on the outside but has a few issues on the inside. Taking it apart and ignition, tank, flyheel and magneto assemble all look good. Even tested the coils and they work, though I will swap out the points, etc. as they look pretty worn and give everything a good cleaning. Down below, one of the pistons is really shot with lots of black soot in there and on the outside. Was thinking about replacing the entire powerhead as I saw a good one for $35 from a site another AOMCI member shared. Is this something a new member and collector should attempt so early? I guess there’s a first time to learn everything. Any good sources of info other than the Johnson manual you would recommend?

The carb is the other issue I noted. The high speed needle was twisted in so tight, that it took a light ring of the carb wall out with it when I removed it. So there’s a pretty significant gouge in the bowl too. So I was thinking I would need to replace that to just to be safe. A replacement is about the same cost as the powerhead. All in all, I’m still under $100 probably to replace all this because I didn’t see any issues in the lower unit or gear case, which appears complete. Just need to change the gear oil.

Plus, I can use the low speed needle and the head cover for my other motor, so I gain something there too.

Anyway, my main question is on the piston/powerhead if anyone has any insight on this. Thanks!

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

sounds like you need to find a nice 3hp… millions around keep looking

just ….black soot means nothing .

do you see physical damage is compression ok??

.just pull the cyl head clean up everything in and out close it up recheck compression

if coils original… replace them chineese coils are dirt cheap

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-Ignition-Coil-For-Johnson-Evinrude-OMC-Replaces-584477-0584477-582995-/123766559466?hash=item1cd10fd2ea

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Evinrude%203%20HP%20Lightwin%20Outboard%20Boat%20Motor/Evinrude%20Johnson%203%20HP%201952-1967%20Ignition%20System%20Tune-up.htm

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.