57/59 Johnson Evinrude Crankshaft 35hp

Home Forum Ask A Member 57/59 Johnson Evinrude Crankshaft 35hp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Kobin Thacker

Replies: 1
    Topics: 1

New member here and just learning my way around. If I’m in the wrong place I apologize and a point in the right direction would be appreciated. Question is: I need a crankshaft for a recently purchased 1957 Johnson Javelin 35 hp. I have a 1959 Evinrude Lark 35hp that I think has a good crank. The 59 is very rough and needs a lot to be usable again so I’m considering using the crank out of it. I know the 59 was a year for a lot of changes in the 35hp line. I know part numbers changed many times but not sure if the cranks mentioned are physically the same and only part number change or they are actually differences in the two. It would be great to know before disassembling. Thanks in advance for any help on the subject.

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 7524
    Topics: 1074

The cranks between the two years have different parts numbers……
    that’s all I know.
    http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php

Prepare to be boarded!

Kobin Thacker

Replies: 1
    Topics: 1

Thank you

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Here is what I “think” I know. Actually, there were two cranks used in ’59, due to different crankpin bearings & retainers. To be certain of an answer to your question, one would just about have to have the two cranks side by side. The ’57 had longer crankpin rollers than the ’59, but the journal was the same overall width. Because of that difference, the radius at the ends of the crankpin journals differed. Using the wrong crank will cause the rollers to interfere at the radius.

Now the question becomes how about changing the rods and bearings also? It’s starting to get complicated. Might be a difference in wrist pin ends????

I remember going through all this way back in “The Day”, but It’s just been too long ago to remember the details.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.