Home Forum Ask A Member ’57 7.5 impeller replacement

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cron78
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Okay, I got the powerhead off.  Struggled with the rearmost screw…had to go buy a larger screwdriver for it and it was still slow going to unscrew. I’m wondering if this comment by Mumbles on another thread has something to do with this obstinate screw even though that other thread was about a 6 hp?

“On reassembly, see if one of the seven bolts is shorter than the rest. If so, it goes at the very rear of the motor. If a long bolt is used here, it can contact the cylinder causing it to distort. A bit of sealer is used on this bolt too as it goes thru the water jacket.”  All the screws out of my 7.5 are the same length, but do any need any kind of sealant upon reassembly?

And, does the pin in the drive shaft in this pic need to be removed or will it ride with the shaft out and back in as is?  Edit:  never mind on the driveshaft pin; I see that it has to come off for the impeller cover and impeller to come off.  This one turns out to be in two halves and hollow…hope I can get it back in the hole after replacing the impeller.

Thx57-7.5-drive-shaft

cron78
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Then,  anyone know what would cause this green buildup on and in the fuel connector?  Perhaps a sealant added or maybe a reaction of the brass to a component of the inside of the old fuel line?  I cut them off because they were hard as rocks and will replace them.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I would not worry to much.. just clean it and  reuse it.      on PH bolts I just reinstall with some  blue locktite   make certain the 2 top  shift rod bolts are thight on reassembly.

there are good utubes on the whole process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2HrEdp5vg

https://youtu.be/SVOedhzPP7M?list=TLPQMDkwNDIwMjTiqj1bRV8d9Q

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

aquasonic
          Participant

US Member

Negative on removing the driveshaft roll pin. If it’s in good condition, leave it be. When you disconnect the shift rod and drop the gearcase, remove the impeller housing screws, and the driveshaft can be pulled from the gearcase. The impeller and housing can be removed from the bottom of the driveshaft after the impeller key is removed.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Negative on removing the driveshaft roll pin. If it’s in good condition, leave it be. When you disconnect the shift rod and drop the gearcase, remove the impeller housing screws, and the driveshaft can be pulled from the gearcase. The impeller and housing can be removed from the bottom of the driveshaft after the impeller key is removed.

Yep, this is the easiest way to do it for sure.  Trying to remove that pin is a pain, and it will need to be replaced afterwards…  I hear ya about that short screw in the rear of the powerhead, some of the engines are like this, others seems to have screws all the same length.  Needless to say, if yours has a shorter screw, use it in the rear/center power head threads.  Be sure the clean all those threads and use some sort of grease/sealer on the threads during reassembly.

I don’t see any of the lower seal components present on top of the driveshaft in your picture.  Please be sure you have all the components and they are reassembled properly, be sure to replace the big round gasket and the little oring that sets inside the carbon seal.   Missing parts/improper assembly of this lower seal is a leading factor in the slow death of many of these powerheads…

seakaye12
              Participant

US Member

CarbonSeal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.