Home Forum Ask A Member ’57 Big Twin Flywheel Choice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

I’m in the process of converting a rope start ’57 Big Twin to electric start but have a choice of flywheels to use. Was the generator an option in ’57? If so, I have a flywheel with the cogs for driving the genny belt but I have another one which is smooth in that area. Since the motor will probably never have a generator mounted on it, I’m leaning towards the smooth one with the inspection window in it. Would this be right?

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Generator was an option in ’57, and the electric start models had the drive pulley on the flywheel. However the drive pulley fell off of most of them because of poor design. Perhaps that is what you are looking at. No biggie deal if you won’t be installing a gen.

opposedtwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have seen a 1957 RD Johnson with a generator so i would assume they were offered on the big twin as well. I guess, since you’re not planning to install a generator, i would not install the generator compatible flywheel. Maybe save it for another project where you might want the generator?

Mumbles
          Participant

Lazy me finally looked in the ’57 RDE parts book and found the same style of flywheel with the cast in cogs for the belt. The smooth one is the same style and both of them came from ’60-’61 Lark and Gale built Viking 40 horse motors. No separate pulleys here to fall off!

Attachments:

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Finding the generator brackets is the hard part for 1957-58 regular series Johnson/Evinrudes. It took me years to find a pair. Of course, I then decided to use 40 hp Johnson’s instead.

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.