Home Forum Ask A Member ‘57 Evinrude 35 HP Remote Steering Options?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    TonyB
    Participant

I’m restoring a ‘57 Crestliner 14’ Viking Speedster Runabout and planning to put a ‘57 Evinrude 35 on it. I’m seeking advice on steering. Options are to use classic drum and pulley type steering Or modern teleflex/Uflex rotary type. I currently only have the original pulleys that came with the boat. I will need helm, steering wheel, cable, connection to engine. I’m not as concerned about keeping it authentic but more concerned about safety and reliability. Looking forward to hearing from you about options as well as sources for components. Thank you, Tony

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

ran my 16 footer and Classic 50 with power trim & with home made plywood box console and….. cable steering

never had any issues …sold it 15 years ago sniff sniff ….

transom was rebuilt for a long shaft Merc 4 cyl…. great motor

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
        frankr
        Participant

US Member

Cable. & pulleys steering is the best steering for that motor. Push pull like telefllex will work but very poorly. Very poorly.

kerry
          Participant

US Member

Modern day Formula One outboards still use cable and pulley systems. 400 plus hp and speeds around 150 prove the design works well if properly set up and maintained.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

labrador-guy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I put a teleflex on my 14′ lone star Malibu and it works great. No more squeaks and loose cable one minute and tight the next. I also had some cable that got rusty under the plastic cover and it broke and that was a surprise. Reminded me of the time when I was a pup and I was toolen along with my big brothers fat 50 on a 15′ Borum wooden boat. I thought I was king for a day and all of a sudden the nut and pulley on the back of the searing wheel that the cable wraps around fell off. WOW! talk about a quick right turn. Small wonder I wasn’t thrown out of the boat. To this day I don’t know why the motor quit. Do what you want but every modern boat comes with some sort of cable steering.

dale

IMG_0001

BayouBengal
              Participant

Somewhat similar to Labrador-Guy, I also rigged (my brother machined) a bail handle steering adapter. It worked wonderfully and I felt much safer with it than cable/pulley. However, I do have a cable/pulley steering column I’ll gladly part with if you’re interested.

LaunchDay-05

IMG00013-Reduced

IMG00014-Reduced

20180103_164309

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
                frankr
                Participant

US Member

labrador, will that thing full tilt without interference? What happens if you hit an underwater obstruction and the motor comes flying up (what breaks?) Will it steer all the way from hardover to hardover? Those are my two main objections. Tony, I’d grab that helm offer. It has the spirol cable drum (the best kind).

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by frankr.
                  BayouBengal
                  Participant

Don’t know about labrador’s, but mine would tilt about 80%. Steering was a 100% in one direction and about 90% in the other. I’ve no plans to ever use the spiral cable drum; I’d bought it for the boat pictured but decided against using it. I’ve no idea what it’s worth, but make me a reasonable offer and I expect I’ll take it.

joecb
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cable and pulleys , properly installed with only ONE take-up spring running great after many years on both boats…. 17 ft Thompson /w 75 HP 1961 Evinrude and 14 f Lonestar /w 35 Lark 1957

Joe B

labrador-guy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Frank, on my steering setup, the motor will tilt up to the limiting stops built into the motor with no problems. It took some thinking to make the the anchor point move properly when tilted. Lots of stuff moves when the motor is tilted. I used a tie rod end from a car and added more up and down movement with another part welded to the plate that is attached to the transom. Cable systems work good and if a person is interested in keep his outfit period correct by all means do what is right for your project. I run several of my classic motors on this boat including a ’63 40hp. I sold my entire cable system pulleys and cable hanging brackets and steering wheel at a swap meet a couple years ago.

dale

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.