Home Forum Ask A Member ’57 Fastwin gearcase

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bill-mcnamara
    Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I was about to open up the L/U today, and noticed that the lower half did not have the usual Phillips headed pivot pin on the outside of the starboard side housing.
      Proceeded to open it up, and found that the shifter cradle lifts out of 2 little cast “u” shaped supports in the lower clam half.

This was a first for me, in about 2 doz of these lower units I have experience with so far.

The clam has been worked on before, and has had a crack welded up on the port side from feeezing water I expect.

I was wondering if the L/U had maybe been swapped out at some point, from an earlier motor?
      The motor itself is stamped in both ID locations as: 15020- 08457, assembled in Milwaukee.

I will try to include a couple of pics.

JOHN HOLBIK
      Participant

The older versions had that set up I do not remember what year OMC changed to the shoulder screw.

Steve D
        Participant

“I was wondering if the L/U had maybe been swapped out at some point, from an earlier motor?
          The motor itself is stamped in both ID locations as: 15020-08457”

That looks like what happened Bill. The manual for ’57 shows motors up to 07000 used the pin, after that the screw/pin. Your ID shows it’s the later ’57 that would have the screw. The manual shows both in their diagram.

pivot-pin-change

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Steve D.
          • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Steve D.
          bill-mcnamara
          Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Thanks guys.
            I’ll look around in the barn for a suitable replacement if this case turns out to be a leaker….from welding distortion maybe?
            The parts diagram says it all, thanks Steve.
            Bill.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.