Home Forum Ask A Member 57 Johnson 35 hp – Tachometer?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    John Link
    Participant

I have a 1957 Johnson RDE-19 35 hp, with magneto but no generator. I have standard wiring harness and standard junction box, all working. Can a current model Faria in-dash tachometer be made to work with my motor? Thanks for any help you can give. John Link

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Modern motors / tachometers work by counting the AC pulses from the alternator. Since your motor has no alternator, you are somewhat limited in what will work on it. You need something that counts the pulses from the magneto, or one that counts the pulses at a spark plug. Tiny Tach is a popular one of the second type.

John Link
        Participant

Thanks frankr. Can you tell me how my motor keeps the battery charged? And whether there is something there that could be intercepted to provide a signal to the tach?

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

I don’t believe it will. I think they are set up to run off pulses from the sense coil. If I am wrong you may be assured I will quickly be corrected. . .

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Actually it doesn’t – it also does not use the battery except for starting so it will go a while with intermittent use. Hand cranking turns the motor over twice. The electric starter will double that with a click of the switch. A well tuned motor will start almost instantly. If the boat and motor are kept in the water, be sure to tilt the motor to lessen electrolyses damage to the lower unit. If you get caught with a low battery that can’t turn the motor over – this draws massage amounts of current, overheating the starter. LET THE STARTER COOL. Then pull the starter cord out to engage the compression relief – this reduces starter effort 25%. Some use a shore powered trickle charger. If you go with this, Disconnect the battery from the motor AND BOAT, to avoid electrolysis. I recently heard someone was making a boat cover with a solar panel in it. The cost would buy a couple spare batteries – but who knows ? ? ?

olcah
              Participant

US Member

If all you use the battery for is starting, my experience with a 1956 Johnson 30 HP is that a car battery does not require recharge for weeks of use. My battery came from an old Mustang, size 58 I believe. I take the battery out and recharge it ashore every 2 or 3 weeks just to keep it topped up.

lindy46
                Participant

US Member

Or get a small solar trickle charger. You won’t have to manually charge all summer.

chris-p
                  Participant

I agree with the solar charger, if you leave the boat out on the dock, keeps it fresh, as long as you don’t use it a ton!

John Link
                    Participant

Since posting the question I have found a “Universal Tach Adapter” called “Widget Man” on eBay that employs the wire-wrapped-around-a-spark-plug-wire just like the TinyTach. However, the device resides inside the motor shroud (or attached to the transom) and provides a wire with a signal any ordinary tachometer can use. You can view it here: eBay posting here

Anybody know anything about this one? Here is what the seller says about it:

“Doing a plug-wire wrap is usually the best approach with mags of all sorts. The Schmitt input on the adaptor even makes it “tunable” by changing the number of turns — getting a reliable pulse is a simple matter of fiddling until you find a number that admits the initial spark pulse at all speeds, but excludes all the ring noise. If you have a lighting coil, the AC signal from one phase of the coil will also make a very clean trigger, and the BTA has ratios for nearly every configuration of alternator. For the output, depending on the vintage and make of the tacho, you may need to add a booster to the BTA output. Many marine tachos are back-EMF types that won’t trigger at 12V, even some recent ones. You can generally check by bouncy-bouncing the tach signal wire on battery+ to see if the needle twitches. If it doesn’t, then chances are you’ll also need a booster (see our listing# 142171581596). We do bundle shipping if you need both, just pay full shipping at checkout and we’ll refund the excess when the items ship. Thanks for your interest!”

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

That certainly is interesting and I wish them success. But that info is way over the average bear’s head. Over mine too. If they can bring it down to earth speak, they may have a viable product. Changing a light bulb baffles some people.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.