Home Forum Ask A Member 57 Johnson 35 hp – Tachometer?

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    John Link
    Participant

Well, I ordered one of the converters. I will check it out via the “bouncy bouncy” technique, but suspect it will work as is. The booster he refers to is basically a transformer that ups the voltage delivered to the sending wire to 30 or more, something that is required for some auto tachs. But the marine tach I am looking at is designed for 12 volts. Since I have an OMC big twin, all the manipulation of the BAT should not be necessary, inasmuch as wrapping one plug wire will generated 1 pulse per revolution. I am restoring a 56 Yellow Jacket and want the instrumentation to be consistent, but not digital. (TinyTach is digital.) Will wind up with speedo, tach with hours, and battery condition meters on the dash, all analog.

Adding a generator, assuming I could find all the parts, would be expensive, as it appears from my searching around. The 55 Johnson 25 horse we had on our 50s Yellow Jacket never caused any problem with a run down battery that I can remember. But then I had a heck of a dad who just took care of stuff like that while we teen-agers had all the fun..

TonyB
      Participant

Did the widget man device work?

John Link
        Participant

I have not hooked it up yet.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.