Home Forum Ask A Member 58 5.5 Evinrude value

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

5.5 are great trolling motors but they won’t do a 10 or 18 hp job.

sold one 2 years ago and the owner is still marvelling at it and using as back-up and trolling engine for his Honda 40 hp

60 years apart and still going strong

Bet ya the Eveready rabbit won’t be around in 60 years πŸ™‚

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

I think a lot of the 5.5s were sold because back then, almost nobody had a boat. You bought a motor and rented a boat; at least that’s the way it was in Minnesota and you could rent a boat on most easily accessible lakes. Some of these rental boats on small lakes were 12 footers rated for 6 HP max. Also, some wanted a light-weight motor to carry to and from the trunk of the car. The 5.5 was the smallest OMC that had a gearshift and a tiller throttle – also made it the cheapest with those features. If it was to be used on small lakes, the time needed to get to a fishing spot was not an issue, but smooth trolling was. Time to get to/from the spot was also beer time for many. Most of the small motors from the “boat rental” era got beat up bouncing around in the trunk of the car.

I have several 5.5s, but none that begin to look as nice as the one posted here! I think the 5.5 and the 6 that replaced it are some of the smoothest runners of the 1950s and 60s. When I’m not fishin’, I, like some others here, like the performance of a 10 to 20 HP on an undecked, tiller-driven boat.
        Dave

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That was an absolutely beautiful motor. It is priced too high for what I would pay for a 5.5 too though. I like those little motors and I probably own too many of them now. There are a few others l would still buy and pay up for, but not $450. While it’s nowhere near as nice cosmetically, I bought this one back in October for $40. It was stuck when I bought it and that ended up being the gearcase from someone running it dry. It freed up and cleaned up well. The rest of the motor is mechanically near perfect. It still had original ignition components under the flywheel. All of that got replaced. It looks decent, it’s a great little runner now and I have around 100 bucks in it. It may get a chance to take me fishing next season. I enjoy running these when they’re good and strong. This one seems to be. I get bored with them when they are getting worn and down on power, but they are still great little fishing motors.
          -Ben

IMG_000000_000000-2

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by fisherman6.
          • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by fisherman6.
          crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

yes great motors.. picked a 59 Golden Jubile 5.5 and tank for $60 few months ago …
            I may..convert it to pump if the tank is shot but the rest of the motor was ok . hood needs a bit of paint , decals would be nice but to pricy

redid electricals, impeller, carbon seal

waiting for the ice to melt….April 2019 πŸ™

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.