Home Forum Ask A Member 58 Big Twin crank lower seals

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dfs
    Participant

1958 Big Twin. Removed lower unit to replace shift seal and when about to reinstall unit, shining a light up into the housing, I see loose parts through the passage to the crankshaft. Assume they are crank seal, retainer, spring and whatever else. Fig E59 12-18 in my condensed service manual. Of course, engine seemed to be running fine last fall before winter hibernation. Photo attached.

Looks rather daunting, never been into this engine area before. I have been searching without success for You Tubes or references, but nothing yet. Any pointers from this forum’s knowledge base? Thank you.

dfs
      Participant

Try again to add photo.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, if the lower seal parts came loose, it seems as though they would have fallen down the driveshaft on top of the impeller housing….
          In any event, you have to remove the powerhead to service/replace the lower seal components. I just don’t want you to pull it all apart if there is nothing wrong….

1 user thanked author for this post.
          dfs
          frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Nope, loose parts will stay up in there. Powerhead has to come off. Not as hard as it looks. BTW, there is an upside down to the retainer ring, maybe why it fell off.

dfs
            fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Oh OK….I guess I was asssssuming the snap ring came off which would allow the parts to fall down…Or is there something up there on the exhaust hsg that might hold the stuff up there without the snap ring?

frankr
              Participant

Unless I have to eat my words, there is a “shelf” a couple of inches down from the top surface, with a hole for the drive shaft to pass through.. Supposed to shield the seal area from exhaust nastys.

dfs
                Participant

20210618_122757

Yes, there is shelf where seals have landed. If I finally attached my photo, they are seen scattered off-center of the thru hole.

dfs
                  Participant

20210619_074938

Visual inspection, I’m ok with hex and slotted screws underneath that tap into the powerhead, but what about these two hex nuts, are they on studs or hidden thru bolts?

frankr
                    Participant

They are on studs. There are also two 1/2″ hex bolts on the side, coming up from outside. And a screw holding the silencer to the lower motor cover pan.

dfs
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.