58 Evinrude 35 Lark Gas Tank Issue Update

Home Forum Ask A Member 58 Evinrude 35 Lark Gas Tank Issue Update

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Gary Richey

Replies: 27
    Topics: 8

Well, progress continues to be made, although it’s two steps forward and one and a half back. I was having an issue with the 6 gallon tank that came with the boat – with the tank/fuel line fitting. Through the course of pulling the tank out and back into the back of the boat many times, it quickly became apparent that the 6 gallon tank was really too physically big (in dimensions) to easily lift it out and put it back. The very back side of the back seat is all scratched up from the many years of the previous owner wrestling it in and out. And when it’s full or close to full it’s absolutely a bear to wrestle it in and out. I decided to go with the OMC 3 gallon tank and bought a nicely refinished one. It doesn’t have the same fuel line fitting, only has the nipple, meaning I’ll have to cut the fitting at the end of the fuel line and secure it with a hose clamp. I have not done that yet though, because I just went on a trip to Maine and found a similar 3 gallon tank at a garage sale that looked to be in good condition. and it has a good fuel line and bulb. I figured two of these small tanks should work out OK and would be easy to swap out. There is a difference though with the two tanks. One tank has a tank cap with a vent (screws in and out) and the other doesn’t. Which tank cap should I use (either will fit both tanks)? My motor has a fuel pump, if that makes any difference. Thank you for the continued help. I appreciate it.

opposedtwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 968
    Topics: 259

Yes, it makes a difference. You need a tank with a single line. The fuel pump will suck the fuel into the motor. Can you post pictures of the two tanks? Does one of them have a 2 line hose? If so, it is a pressure tank and won’t be appropriate for your motor.

There are a couple different fuel connectors for the single line tanks, and as you say, you may have to swap one of them out. You could take the correct fitting off your 6 gallon tank and put it on the 3 gallon tank with the incorrect fitting.

As for the caps I believe some have vent screws and some do not. If it has a screw it needs to be in the open position when you want to run the motor otherwise as the fuel pump sucks fuel out of the tank it will create a vacuum and fight the fuel pump and your motor won’t get any fuel.

I have only run a couple single line tanks and am not an expert on them. Others will add valuable info here.

Like with any fuel connection, make sure your system is safe and does not leak anywhere along the fuel delivery path.

Scott

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by opposedtwin.

David Bartlett

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 571
    Topics: 24

The tank without a vented cap does have a vent. (Little plastic round thing on top) Either tank should work for you.

David Bartlett
    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

opposedtwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 968
    Topics: 259

The tank without a vented cap does have a vent. (Little plastic round thing on top) Either tank should work for you.

David, is that operate like a check valve?
    Scott

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Not Dave, but yes. Lets air in but keeps fuel from sloshing out.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Gary Richey

Thanks guys, I guess I’m good to go with both tanks, which is where I wanted to be.

Gary Richey

Sometimes I think I have more problems than I can shake a stick at. My gas tank issue seems to have been resolved but maybe the real problem is with my fuel pump? I think of myself as a decent mechanic but there are many aspects of an outboard motor that I am just not familiar with. So, my question (and yes, the boat was launched a couple days ago, after 50 years, so it’s in serious shake-down mode) – I squeeze the bulb and it gets hard and the glass fuel bowl under the carb is filled. The motor starts and runs for awhile and then stalls out. I look at the fuel bowl and it is half full or less. I squeeze the bulb again (it’s not hard) and it fills up the bowl and the motor will run again – for a little while. If the fuel pump is doing it’s job, shouldn’t the bowl stay full and the bulb stays hard? When I was doing all my work on the motor I did not do anything with the fuel pump. Could it be that it needs a rebuild – and can they be rebuilt? Could the problem be something else? Thanks again, Gary – on Bradley Brook Reservoir, Eaton , NY

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

The glass bowls are a great deceiver. They normally run half empty–or completely empty. Don’t ask me why, osmosis or something. Yes the fuel pump can be rebuilt. It is a simple device, easy to do. Can it be something else? Sure. An air leak in the suction line. A burst pulse hose, to name a couple.

outbdnut2

Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

Here is an aftermarket fuel pump kit:

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7801

The OEM kits are no longer available.
    Dave

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.