58 Evinrude 35 Lark Gas Tank Issue

Home Forum Ask A Member 58 Evinrude 35 Lark Gas Tank Issue

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)

• Gary Richey

Replies: 27
    Topics: 8

Well, my two previous posted topics turned out to be non-issues (sort-of, all part of the learned curve I guess). I have a new one. Yesterday when I was able to get the old girl up and running again after a long and deep slumber, I had a problem with my cruis a day gas tank and my new fuel line/bulb kit. When I attached the fuel line connector to the gas tank, I had a sloppy fit. There was a gap of maybe 1/16 inch, resulting in a considerable air leak and a modest fuel leak. I then tried my old fuel line/bulb unit connectors and had the same loose fit. I can only assume that there is a gasket or o-ring that I am missing. Am I right? I have attached two pics, one showing the gap when they are connected and one of the gas tank connector, I guess you would call it the male end. Thoughts?

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1063
    Topics: 72

You say your motor is a ’58. So someone has changed it over from a two line pressure tank? That happens anyway the only place it can leak is where the O ring is on the end of the hose connector. The two small pins vent the tank when the connector is hooked up. Make sure the O ring is there and not damaged or cracked.

dale

Gary Richey

It is a single line setup, motor has fuel pump. I’m missing the O ring, I guess.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

’58 Lark, right? Yes, they had a single line tank..Your fit probably is ok. See those two little pins that get pushed in when you attach the connector? One is a fuel valve and the other one is a vent valve. The one with a tiny brass washer around it is the fuel valve. There is a micro-sized o-ring behind that brass washer. I’ll just about guarantee that teensy o-ring is shot. That lets it suck air and slop gas out.

The o-ring is replaceable by knocking the core plug out of the backside. There are two sizes of the tiny o-ring. ’58 uses the smallest size. There is another o-ring in there too. Replace both.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by frankr.

frankr

“Knocking” probably was a poor choice of words. Knock a hole in it with a small punch, and pry it out,sounds better.

outbdnut2

Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

By chance do you have the metric fuel line connector meant for Yamaha and some Mercury models? The hole is a little bit bigger and will fit sloppy. The connectors look the same.

If your tank is also a 1958 or slightly newer, it will leak out the vent when you connect the line if the tank is really full, because it’s a 2-way vent, activated by the pn that pushes inwhen you attach the connector. This was corrected a few years later by having the vent be one-way, which did allow the tank to build up vapor presure inside, but they no longer leaked gas if the tank was full. So if you have this early tank, either you don’t fill it quite all the way, or you get a newer tank.
    Dave

frankr

outbdnut2

Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

I may have learned something here – I thought all the early single line tanks would leak there if they were full. I’ll have to look for #18 in the future.
    Dave

Gary Richey

Well, my o-rings came in – the really, really small one (305862) and the two bigger ones (305857). The small one (#18 in frankr’s link) goes on the narrowed diameter space just behind the conical end? Regarding the other two (#22 in the link) – I have to remove the core plugs? Can you give me some more guidance on how to remove them? And when I have replaced the o-rings, I just tap the core plugs back in? Thanks, I appreciate the help.

frankr

1. Remove the core plug. Do that by poking a hole through it with a hammer and small punch, say about 3/32″. Now with the punch still in the hole, rock it to one side, which will lever the core plug out.

2. Push the valve pin out through the opening you just created. A spring will come with it. Pick the o-ring out of the hole.

3. Where the pin was, is a small brass washer. Lever it out like you did the core plug. With the brass washer out, you will see the teensy o-ring. Pick it out.

4. Put a new teensy o-ring in, followed by the brass washer. “Stake” the washer in by upsetting the aluminum around the washer with a hammer and screwdriver. It doesn’t take much, just enough to sort of dent it. You will see how it was dented (staked) originally.

5. Back to the core plug end, put in a new o-ring, followed by the pin and spring.

6. Now, the new core plug. Insert a new one, dome side out. With a hammer and suitable large flat-ended tool. flatten the dome till it is flat. Warning, don’t go beyond flat or it will loosen up again and fall out.

7. Replace the o-ring behind the air vent pin in a similar fashion. You know how to do it by now.

8. I could do the whole job in less time than it took to type all this.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by frankr.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.