Home Forum Ask A Member 58 Evinrude 35 Oil/Gas Ratio

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gary Richey
    Participant

As I get one step closer to launching this old girl, new issues pop up. I just finished an o-ring job on my six gallon Evinrude gas tank fuel line fitting (it leaked bad) that now allows me to run the motor for an extended period of time (mounted on the back of the boat, lower part of motor sitting in a large trash can full of water). After a couple minutes of running, it started smoking and continued smoking until I shut it down after maybe five minutes of running time. Smoking quite a bit. Previously, when I first started it (after 50 years of not running) it smoked a little, to be expected I guess, but it probably only had 1-2 minutes total of running time prior to yesterday. The smoke was coming out the exhaust. I thought I should revisit the oil/gas mixture I was using and now believe I was too light on the oil. I had mixed 8 ounces (1/2 pint) of oil to 3 gallons of gas. What should be the mixture of oil and gas for this motor? An additional consideration – the carb was rebuilt and I have made no attempt at adjusting it yet (that’s another topic to be covered in the near future). But I don’t believe an out of adjustment carb could cause that much smoke, right? Thoughts? I just hope I didn’t potentially cause any harm to the motor.

bobw
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

You should be using a 24-1 mix. That would be 1/3 pint oil per gallon of fuel, or a full pint of oil to your 3 gallons of gas.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

frankr
        Participant

Well, sure it is smoking.
          1. You are barrel cruising. It was built for lake or ocean cruising.
          2. You are running it for extended time at slow speed. Not enough to burn off the oil as it accumulates.
          3. 1/2 pint/gallon is more than it needs. Won’t hurt anything other than possible fouled plugs and lots of smoke. 24:1 is correct, but it actually will be fine with 50:1, but I won’t recommend it for fear of starting another oil war.
          4. Carb isn’t adjusted. Likely dumping too much gas/oil into the cylinders.
          5. Get it out of that bucket and onto the lake and get it properly adjusted, and it will be much better. Better scenery too.

outbdnut2
          Participant

I run 24 to 1 in my 1957, 1958, and 1959 35 HPs and they don’t smoke when you get them up and running on the lake – sometimes just a little when they first start after being choked, etc.. In a barrel, all smoking bets are off. Frank covered all the culprits well!
            Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.