Home Forum Ask A Member ’58 Fastwin 18 vs ’93 Merc 20 weights

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wetwillie
    Participant

In the interest of speed and reliability, I am considering replacing the old 18 on my little FC Runabout with a newer Merc 20 but am concerned about the increase in weight. I expected the newer motor to be lighter but at 112 lbs, I now think it’s got to be heavier. Can someone respond with the weight of the 18?
      Thanks!

phil-b
      Participant

1957 catalog says 80 (87 for the electric start). The number I would have given from the top of my head was 77:

https://web.archive.org/web/20051215140 … _30_31.jpg

wetwillie
        Participant

Thanks Phil. I’m surprised that such an old motor would be so much lighter than one 35 yrs newer of about the same hp.
          Would anyone like to respond with their opinion of why a newer motor is so much heavier?

david-bartlett
          Participant

Willie,

I find the gear case components are larger thus heavier. Also transom clamp area is stronger on newer motors. Not to mention extra safety stuff to prevent in gear starting. It adds up quickly.

wetwillie
            Participant

Thanks Dave. I guess it really does add up quickly. Very interesting. Now to decide if the additional hp is worth the additional weight. I figure there’d be more than a 2 hp difference between the 2 motors because of the difference in how the power was measured. I wonder what hp the 18 would be if measured the same way as the ’93. Hmmmm

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

get a mark 25 you will see a difference.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.