Home Forum Ask A Member “59 lark leaking gas

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    dlyman9
    Participant

Hello, I have a ’59 Lark 35hp thats leaking gas up top. It drips off the bottom zerk fitting on the shift rod going into the engine case. I’ve replaced all fuel lines. It puddles up on the motor case under the fitting then runs down and out as a frothy, watery blueish sludge. The motor sat for about 15 years until this summer. It runs like a top. I’ve had several people watch while it’s running but no one can find the source. I’m hoping someone on this site might steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

what is… ON TOP ???   fuel comes from  the fuel line obviously   then to the pump and over to the carb to be consumed

have you serviced the carb after 15 years of storage ??

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

dlyman9
        Participant

Yeah sorry that’s confusing. Should have said it is gas from the motor area and not gear lube. Have not serviced the carb because it runs so good. I laid paper rags down all around and under the carb and anywhere else I could but it seems to just drip from the fitting. The carb isn’t wet, the fuel bowl isn’t wet and neither can I find any leakage around the pump. I replaced the head gasket and pressure tested both cylinders at 108psi.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

So you are speaking of zerk fitting #4 in first picture?  Is it actually coming OUT of the zerk or just somewhere nearby/above?  The crankcase puddle drains #68-thru #76 drain into that general area in the exhaust housing, but I can’t say I’ve ever heard of any complaints of it coming out the zerks.

If that’s what it is, I’d say it’s harmless, but messy.

Screenshot-2022-10-04-160728

Screenshot-2022-10-04-155446

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Of course, the first thought that comes t mind is the hose #15 on the side of the powerhead.  But you said you replaced all hoses.  Say you didn’t use a vacuum hose there.  That stuff isn’t fuel-proof.

dlyman9
              Participant

It’s dripping off of the zerk and not out. It’s the one that points downward on the housing where the shift rod goes into the motor housing if that makes sense. I’ll try and post some pics if I can figure out how. And yes I used fuel lines for all the replacements. Thanks you guys for all your responses and help

frankr
                Participant

US Member

It’s dripping off of the zerk and not out. It’s the one that points downward on the housing where the shift rod goes into the motor housing if that makes sense. I’ll try and post some pics if I can figure out how. And yes I used fuel lines for all the replacements. Thanks you guys for all your responses and help

Sorry, I can’t visualize what zerk you are speaking of.  Waiting for pictures.

dlyman9
                  Participant

Ok, here is where it’s dripping from. Hope you can see it. The other pic is what it looks like down on the lower housing. It also has the goo coming out of the exhaust port down by the prop. It smells like gas so I don’t think it’s lower unit lube as I have replaced all the seals when I put in a new impeller

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

unburnt fuel ?

dlyman9
                      Participant

That’s what it looks and smells like but I can’t figure out where it’s coming from

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.