Home Forum Ask A Member 62 Evinrude 40hp Crankshaft Won’t Turn

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

So, you have a Lark Selectric Shift? Drain the gear oil and see what comes out. Rusty water??? Get ready for some more $$$ to fall out of your pocket.

Spinner
      Participant

LOL! Good thing it’s not the electric shift. I drained the oil and it’s not the best looking. Seems like something has seized the gears-probably rust. Will be taking a look tomorrow to see what I have!

frankr
        Participant

Yeah, I was just about to correct myself. The ’62 Lark was produced in both Selectric and Manual Shift.

nj-boatbuilder57
          Participant

Was going to pull the lower smaller cover to take a look at the gears but don’t want to mess up the shift mechanism.

If it’s frozen, you can’t really make it “more broken” by taking it apart, right?

Support the lower in a skeg up porition, and take the screws out (including the shift pivot screw in the side of the skeg). Tap the skeg and it should pop off, exposing the gears. First time I ever did this, I was really apprehensive, but the whole “what’s what” revealed itself pretty quickly. It’s an elegantly-simple, simply-elegant design that you’ll come to understand and appreciate very quickly!

Good luck!

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Mumbles
            Participant

If you can turn the prop shaft, that indicates both the forward and reverse gears are free and turning on the shaft so the problem is probably the large roller bearing which the pinion gear fits in.

What you want to see when you open up the gearcase are clean and oily gears, not gooped up rusty ones.

2014-02-01-18.01.25

DSC00006

bobw
              Participant

Hopefully, you won’t find this either.

02-Thats-Not-Good

03-Thats-Really-Not-Good

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Spinner
                Participant

Thanks! I appreciate the confidence boost! Looking forward to getting this motor operational again.

Spinner
                  Participant

Thanks everyone for the pictures! Those are a great reference! I will post what I find…

Spinner
                    Participant

Well the pinion bearing is frozen but the prop gears are not too bad-I cleaned them up and it was old grease and a bit of lake gunk. Definitely all the bearings need replaced. Also, it was missing the cradle holder piece so somebody was playing around in here in the past.

What is the best way to get the driveshaft bearings out of the lower unit? Does it require a special tool? I have a slide hammer bearing removal tool but don’t want to damage anything if a low cost alternative is available. Thanks again everyone for your input!!!

F0F36AC9-463F-4013-A533-A7CA630CF6C0

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Mumbles.
                      outbdnut2
                      Participant

I had one where a vane was broken off the water pump impeller that resulted in the water pump being jammed up so the driveshaft would not turn.

Looking at your last photo, I think you found your problem. If it were mine, I’d look for a used lower unit assembly, preferable with driveshaft, or look for a parts motor with a good lower.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.