Home Forum Ask A Member 64 Johnson 5.5hp carb needles

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jerryswiss
    Participant

This is a Johnson CD21A
      It has an adjustable low speed carb needle above the throat of the carb, but no hole in the hood to access it. And a brass plug screwed in to the bowl of the carb, where the high speed needle should go. This plug sticks out of the body of the outboard just below the hood and there are marking on the body showing how to adjust a needle lean or rich, but like I say there is no needle, just a plug.

Question:
      Is there supposed to be a high speed needle on this motor?
      Why is there no access hole in the hood for the slow speed needle?

chinewalker
      Participant

US Member

No, there isn’t a high speed needle. However, the shaft from the plug is used to support a plastic adjustment knob, with related linkage, that attaches to the low speed needle valve. The plastic bits are frequently lost or broken. I’m waiting for some enterprising young pup with access to a 3D printer to knock out a few dozen of the plastic bits!

Mumbles
        Participant

Your ’64 CD has a non adjustable fixed size orifice jet, #67, instead of a needle for the high speed circuit. The low speed circuit is adjustable and the adjusting knob is in the lower pan, next to the choke knob. The ’63 CD’s were the last of these motors with two adjusting needles. Your motor may be missing some of its parts.

Attachments:

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The 1964 Johnson 5.5 has a fixed high speed jet (orifice plug) and an adjustable low speed. It sounds like someone changed the correct plug screw that had a post protruding from it to a plug with just the hex and possibly a screwdriver slot. Many fixed jet carbs used the slotted hex plug and to my knowledge the 64 Johnson is the only one that used the plug with the post. The post is for a plastic collar to rotate around and adjust the low speed via a linkage. See the picture below. #68 is the correct carb bowl plug screw for your motor.
            -Ben

As I was typing, Mumbles posted the same reply. 😆

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

jerryswiss
            Participant

Thanks all, I think I have seen one of those set ups before. Missing parts, that makes sense now.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Parts probably missing –
                11 = 0301617
                70 = 0308244 link
                69 = 0308243

– – – 🙂

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

71 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Right – 71 – With my dollar glasses I can only see what I write after I enlarge the type – the last operation. Then I go back to correct the wrong spelling my spell check does white I’m typing . . . 😳

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.