Home Forum Ask A Member 66' Evinrude Starflight 100 S

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MICHAEL PEEL-ROELOFS
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hey Folks, I was poking around the wrecking yard today and came across a 66′ Evinrude Starflight 100 S. It’s all there and the lower unit turns in -5 degrees so it’s not full of water. The power head is stuck but the paint is really not bad. No discoloration or anything. I can get it for 30 cents a pound. What do they weigh? Also are they notoriously troublesome? Worth it for parts if the power head is trash? It looks like the boat was the reason it was junked. Bottom is broken in.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Well, lessee. That motor can be outrageously expensive to restore. Carburetor kit costs a mint. Will you be getting the boat? The remote control contains a shift switch that costs about $300 new. Looking at the other possibilities, you are getting a battery ignition system (not CD), that carb, if it is any good, a heavy duty electric shift lower unit, a voltage regulator, etc. etc.

Troulblesome? not really. It is pre-CD ignition, that’s good. 100hp electric shift is tough and was used on V8 stern drives. 4-barrel carb and reeds are a big improvement in gas mileage over older V-4 motors. No in-boat junction box. In other words, state of the art for it’s day

MICHAEL PEEL-ROELOFS
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I didn’t get a look at the controls but will for sure have a good look Saturday when I go back. Boat itself is junk. Doesn’t look to be all corroded or dirty like it’s been sitting out for years or anything so we’ll see. Thanks for the input!

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

MaineEngine.com shows the switch for $75, but only has (1)! I thought they were a lot more expensive than that too. I already commented about other things on FB to you Michael.
            The wiring is what bothers me the most. I did not realize it didn’t have a junction box. That’s a plus.

Check out this advertising of the day! Maybe a few liberties were taken, but 1966 was a long time ago!

Dan in TN

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.