Home Forum Ask A Member ’67 80 HP, seems to starve out with throttle advance, plus rope start link

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Can’t you leave the engine cover on and squirt the gas in the carb through the little front door? If the flywheel explodes and comes through that and kills you, your days were up, anyway. Come to think of it, can I do the test FOR you? Then I won’t have to watch the TV news anymore.

Long live American manufacturing!

Alan
      Participant

Yeah, don’t get too much of that “news” on you! That also poses a risk to your head.

I’m not worried about the actual testing, really. It can be a drag to make the two hour round trip to the hot, crowded lake for 20 minutes on the water. For the 7th time. Not so much for me as for whoever else goes with. Lately it’s ended up being my 84 year old Dad who has recently recovered from a broken knee He’s been a great sport so far and will again, I’m sure.

From what I’ve seen of flywheels disintegrating, I don’t know that the fiberglass motor cover would be much protection at 5K RPM. Hope never to know!

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Running the test wheel on the boat in the water actually works best… Usually, water just splashes out of the test tank causing the engine to ventilate, and RPM to fluctuate quite a bit….This will just add more confusion to your issue. I realize that getting the boat to the lake is a pain, but it is the best test method…

Alan
          Participant

Advice appreciated.
            I looked back, and Dan says the part number for the test wheel I need is 379215.
            I guess I’d just have to back it into the water; wouldn’t necessarily even have to take it off the trailer. In a way that wouldn’t block the dock / ramp, of course. Don’t want to be that guy.
            That way, if I gave it a shot of fuel and the RPMs jumped up, I wouldn’t get any 25 mph surprises.
            I’ll report back if / when I learn anything.
            Thanks to all.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Looks like a lot of discussion has taken place since my last visit, so let me clear up a couple of things.

The flywheel that blew up was on a race engine. The guy had machined off a bunch of metal to lighten it. Live (maybe) and learn.

Test props. They work by the fins grabbing water and flinging it against the outer rim by centrifugal force. The faster you turn it, the more water fling. The result is forces that are working against themselves, like trying to pick up a chair while you are sitting in it. Also, the fins are angled and do provide a bit of forward thrust like a regular prop. This is necessary to keep it in solid water and not just sit there making a hole to cavitate in. The forward thrust in small in a 6 hp, but a big V4 moves a lot of water. No way in hades can you run a V4 at WOT in a trash can, test prop or not. Likewise, test props are matched to horsepower. For instance, a 28hp is different than a 35 hp, which is different than a 40hp, although they all fit the same shaft. And yes, they work best with the boat launched and tied to the pier. Since our shop was land-locked, I had a full set of test props up through 200 hp when I was twirling wrenches for a living. And a large professional test tank. Even so, I couldn’t run a 200 in it at WOT. Too much air mixed with the water.

Posting the last list that I have.

Test-Props-2

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                Alan
                Participant

Great info; very much appreciated.
                  I feel a bit better knowing that the flywheel which flew apart had been modified. I like modifying stuff, and feel bad for the guy.
                  But I’ll be a little less nervous when running the test prop I just bought. While I’m sitting back there squirting fuel at it at 4,800 RPM.
                  It will be nice to narrow down my issue to either fuel or spark, and I’ll report back with that info.
                  Thanks again;
                  Alan

need2fish
                  Participant

I’m with timing as the problem, but I have to ask: I know you mentioned gaskets, but is it possible you have an air leak at the carb to manifold mating or manifold to reeds mating ?

Or a stuck / bent reed? One bent reed may not cause blow-back from the crankcase, but will lean out the charge.

Is the fuel pump original to the motor ?

Alan
                    Participant

I’ve replaced and reinspected the carb to manifold gasket several times, but not the manifold to reeds surface. I’ll scrutinize that.
                      I had no idea a bent reed would lean it out; I’ll put that on my radar for sure. This would explain the mysteriousness.

The fuel pump body appears to be original, and I’ve replaced the check valve once and the diaphragm twice. When I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and cranked it over, it put out (what seemed to me) plenty of fuel.

I very much appreciate the expert advice, and will keep ironing out the ignition. I did verify that the flywheel hasn’t slipped, and I’m sure the belt timing is OK.. Next step is to make sure the points are breaking at the right time. After that I’m not sure where to go with the ignition.

I did get a test wheel, and will report back as soon as I can run it with that. I hope to narrow my focus.
                      Many thanks;
                      Alan

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.