Home Forum Ask A Member 6V-12V question relating to 1956 Javelin

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

2 in parallel will drop the resistance by 50% if you can’t find what you need

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I would first measure the resistance (in Ohms) of the solenoid.

bill-mcnamara
        Participant

Canada Member

Frank,
          Just got back to the choke situation, other home chores to do.
          Measured the resistance at the choke solenoid,and find 0 ohms using my old Triplett 630 analog meter that has always been reliable.
          Indicates continuity within the solenoid to me.
          Bill.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Well that’s a bummer. I was hoping for an Ohm or so, at least. The whole purpose was to calculate the resistance and wattage you need for the resistor. Of course, the goal is to match the resistor’s resistance to the solenoid’s resistance. Some quick numbers crunching comes up with using a one Ohm resistor plus a one Ohm solenoid will draw about 6 Amps. So. a resistor dropping 6 Volts, with 6 Amps current would mean 36 Watts. Meaning a One Ohm, 36 W resistor is called for, or maybe 50 W for availability. IF it truly is one Ohm resistor & solenoid. But I suspect you already know this.

bill-mcnamara
            Participant

Canada Member

Crosbyman,
              Took your suggestion about wiring in parallel, which produced this odd looking arrangement as a concept test.Choke now closed perfectly of course.

A little ungainly looking as is, but it does the job.

Any suggestions as to how I might “compact” it a bit, to hopefully house in the transom box?I know there must be some sort of simple resistor “out there” that would do the job, but this will get us going……on one of the motors anyway.

Thanks, Bill.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Wanna be the official member aomci experimenter? Try this: https://www.alliedelec.com/product/vishay-dale/rh0501r000fe02/70201506/

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

back to numbers.. if the original resistor is giving a 7.8 volt drop measured across it…. then the rest of the cct can’t be 0 ohms in the selenoid

if the selenoid was 0 ohms …… the ballast resistor (in series) then becomes THE major resistance point and would absorb the drop of a full 12 volts when measured across. (ohms law)

As FR pointed out “or just resistance in the rest of the wiring, or whatever.”

you need to find out where that resistance is hiding … (possibly poor -oxydized connections)

glad my suggestion worked just measure the resistance of both resistance in parallel and get one single resistor t. of the eqv. value .o save space …. 🙂

or find the problem …measure the solid 12v (to a solid ground) incoming to the choke button….. measure same voltage AFTER & holding the choke button (should be 12v also) measure pre-ballast should be 12v (if no resistance encountered yet)

if not 12v to ground….. entering the ballast resistance…. you have a resistive path back to the choke button

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
                  frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Agreed, that’s why I don’t believe the solenoid is 0 Ohms resistance.

billy-j
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Why don’t you just replace the 6 volt choke solenoids for 12 volt. I think the 1957 motor was the first year of 12 volts. Maybe you can just switch them and eliminate the resistor.

JOHN HOLBIK
                      Participant

I have converted several farm tractors from 6 to 12 volts I use the 6volt starters and solenoids on 12v .The starters spin nice and I have never replaced a solenoid.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.