Home Forum Ask A Member 6V-12V question relating to 1956 Javelin

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

BIlly J .. John…. looks like all the needed parts to convert are in the barn 🙂 per the initial post

Another solution might be to harvest a couple of 12V choke solenoids from some ’57 and later RD’s that are resting in my barn.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
      bill-mcnamara
      Participant

Canada Member

Frank, thanks for the lead to the Dale resistor, looks promising.

Re-checked the resistance of the solenoid again, and got 1.2 ohms on x10 scale.

I apologize for the incorrect data earlier guys. I thought I had sent a reply that included corrected data and a picture last night, apparently it didn’t send.

bill-mcnamara
        Participant

Canada Member

Took Frank’s suggestion and bought a couple of the Vishay Dale resistors.
          They do the job perfectly.
          Shown also is the test contraption I made up connecting 2 of the auto resistors in parallel.
          It also worked well, but the size differential will make it a lot easier to locate the new Dales inside the connection boxes for sure.

Thanks to all for contributing your knowledge.

Bill.

DSCN1243

frankr
          Participant

US Member

(Applause!!!). Now we know. This is much needed information. Thanks Bill, for carrying out the experiment.

bill-mcnamara
            Participant

Canada Member

Final Words:
              Did some measurements to both systems after installing the new resistors just now, and the nice little Vishay-Dale units show a voltage drop of 6.8V opposed to 7.8V with the old porcelain versions.
              Voltage at the choke solenoids now reads 4.5V instead of 3.5V .

Both chokes snap to attention on demand. That extra Volt certainly did the trick, and I’m no longer worried about frying a solenoid attached to the bottom of a fuel filled carburetor.

Thanks again for the contributions Guys!

Bill.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.