Home Forum Ask A Member 7.5 Mercury carb issues

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It’s been  a busy summer without much time for outboards, but now I’m fixing a Merc 75   7.5 HP, SN 4089644 for a neighbor.   It’s a 7.5 with blue trim on the case and new enough to have the larger , standard gas line connector and the combined carb/fuel pump.   Has good spark.  I can get it to run for only a few seconds, and as it revs up in neutral, sounding OK, it dies and then gas drips out the carb throat indicating flooding (note that on my vertical test tank transom, the carb slants downward-forward, even with the trim pin all the way down, so any large amount of gas in the carb throat will drip out the front if the motor can’t stay running to suck it in).  Once I got it to run for a minute.  The carb float needle had a bad looking spot on it’s neoprene tip so I took one where the tip looks and feels good out of an identical parts motor carb and nothing changed.  When I squeeze the primer bulb, it primes good and the bulb gets firm and no gas rolls out of the carb until I try to start it.  The tank and line I use on other motors and that works fine.   I’ve cleaned the carb and carefully set the float level and float drop to spec.  The plastic float does not leak and is not binding on anything.   I’m starting it with the low speed mixture 1-1/2 turns out and have tried it 1/2 turn each way from this setting.  What are your thoughts?  I once had a 8.4 HP Champion drip gas back out the carb throat and quit and it was a broken reed.  I have not checked reeds yet.  Neither this carb or the parts carb have the spring on one end of the float valve needle that slightly newer models have, and the float needle does not have the detail to accept a spring on its end.

Help!  Thanks!

Dave

dave-bernard
      Participant

Got a pic if the carb and fuel pump.

outbdnut2
        Participant

Should be a photo of carb/fuel pump here now if I did it right!

IMG_1817

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is a picture of the book’s rendition of setting the float level. Sorry I didn’t rotate the image. I never saw one of those carbs that didn’t have the spring in the float valve, except the ones on my 50, which I put in myself, to stop the exact problem you’re having. Don’t ask me what float valve I used though. They might have been out of a Yamaha…

Sometimes you can put a strip of 3/4″ wood high in the back side of the clamp brackets, to cheat the transom angle to be closer to normal.

Long live American manufacturing!

dave-bernard
            Participant

check your fuel pump.

outbdnut2
              Participant

Thanks for the tips!

Dave B. – I have not disassembled the fuel pump yet, but will check it now.  I assumed since the carb was getting gas and I couldn’t force it to leak with the primer bulb, that the problem was not over-pressure from the fuel pump.  I think I’ll just order the fuel pump kit.  I’ve had the carb apart 3 times and just want to get the thing out of here and back to my neighbor.

Bill W. – I notice that Marine Engine sells what they call the “needle and spring” and the photo shows the spring, and yes – I have seen this spring in several others and only this and my parts motor don’t have it.  I think I’ll just order the OEM one, because I only want to take it apart one more time.  Thx for the measurement info.  I have the factory Mercury shop manuals for 1966-1974, and 1975-1978, and they both have that same measurement photo which I have set the float to, and they both have the same adjustment dimensions and call the part an “Inlet Needle and Spring”, even though their exploded views show no spring.

Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.