Home Forum Ask A Member 7.5hp Evinrude Starter Pullstart Issues

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Good-Fishing
    Participant

Cranking on the 55′ Evinrude trying to get it to tune in correctly, seems to have loosened up the starter housing somehow. I pulled it off the top and took off the screw in the middle then re tightened it. The spring and rope are fine. Now it will not engage unless the screw is slightly loose. If i tighten it down like it was, the crank wont move. What am I missing here? Feel free to respond with carb tuning suggestions also I have it running at low rpm just fine, trying to get it running smooth into high speed.
      Thank You.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well I’m sure someone will chime in with a parts diagram, which will help explain things… I’m not sure I understand what you are saying though. Are you saying that the rope was not retracting fully? Are you saying that when you pulled the recoil rope the starter did not engage with the flywheel?
        Sounds like you didn’t get things lined up properly when you removed/reinstalled the recoil pulley screw, so now you can’t pull the rope out at all without loosening the screw slightly, do I have it correct? I can’ remember if these recoils used a shoulder screw which prevented over tightening….Or, if you simply tightened the screw “just snug enough to hold everything in place but allow the pulley to rotate freely”….The nut on top of the recoil was then tightened to keep the screw in place…
        Like I say, someone will chime in with a parts diagram…

Good-Fishing
        Participant

When i originally removed it the screw was very tight but the pressure plate underneath holding the rope was a little loose.Leading to a hard start. So I loosened the screw then re tightened it and it wont allow me to pull it with it fully tightened down.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Ha, good-fishing, I knew what you were going to say before even reading through it. The equalizer spring must be pre-assembled onto the shoulder of the spindle before inserting the spindle into the pulley. If it pops off, you gotta start over.

Simplex-Starter-Equilizer-Spring

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by frankr.
            garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

The biggest fault of those starters was it being so easy to dislodge the friction spring from its place on the shoulder of the spindle . . . and then there is those tiny equalizer springs , , , Good eyes, steady hands and a tiny needle nosed pliers helps . . .

Good-Fishing
              Participant

Thanks Guys! Its back in place!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.