Home Forum Ask A Member ’83 4hp Johnson lower leg issues

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jerryswiss
    Participant

Ok, I had a previous post on this motor about how to disconnect the shift rod. I got that pulled out of the gear case and serviced the impeller. Now I am having trouble getting the shift rod back in the gear case at the same time line up the drive shaft and connect the pick up tube. Is there an EASY way to do this? HELP! 😮

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, no there is no easy way that I have found for sure….A poorly thought out design, probably to save a few pennies…
        I guess it is very helpful to have an assistant, so you are not trying to perform all three operations by yourself at the same time….
        I can’t remember which shift lever position moves it down and out of the exhaust housing the farthest, I’m guessing that would be reverse…So, it might be best to have the shift lever in reverse giving you a little more room to "jiggle stuff around" in there with your fingers in the hopes of aligning the water tube and shift rod….
        They either seemed to fall right into place with no effort, or defy my every effort….
        Let me know if you figure out some trick…
        Don
        Duhhhhh… This thing doesn’t have reverse! But, I’m guessing shifting the lever into neutral will extend the shift rod down and out of the exhaust housing the farthest…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.